Need help with a bunch of mint sets

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by perpetualeverything, Sep 15, 2018.

1. perpetualeverything

perpetualeverything New Member

As you can see, this is my first post. I'm admittedly not a coin collector but my grandfather recently gifted me a handful of US Treasury Mint sets dating back to 1961.

All are still in their original protective plastic, in their separate compartments. I've done some searching online to find out how much they might be worth but it's difficult to say because I don't know how much credence I can put into some random website I've found with values on it.

I've attached a screen shot of the file he sent me with values as he found with his research, but I'm not sure how he found those. If anyone wants a picture of any of them, I'm happy to post here. What should my next step be? Should I bring them to a precious metals dealer in town? Or should I try ebaying them all separately? Do I have any sets that someone here is particularly looking for?

I'm greatly appreciative of any help given here!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@perpetualeverything I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid he put this listing together a long time ago. The prices of both Mint & Proof sets has not done well. Hope you can make this listing out. It is the latest price guide from Numismatic news. But welcome to Coin Talk.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

5. perpetualeverything

Thanks for your reponse, Tommy. To be honest, nothing is bad news because I came into these sets at no cost to myself and am not a collector. Any income from them is good news to me :).

So when I read that list above, I notice that the 1971 mint collection says it is worth "350". Does that mean 3.50 or $350? Because I have two of those but they don't seem to be that rare, so I'm a little confused as to the value.

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

That's a typo on that one. Should be $3.50.

7. perpetualeverything

Thought so!

What is the best way to sell these? A local coin collector? Pawn shop? eBay?

8. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

The 1960-1970 mint sets are probably worth the most due to silver content.

9. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Unless you have already sold stuff on eBay and know how it all works, I would not recommend it.

10. Gregg702

Gregg702 Active Member

Coin store are going to be tough too. Mint sets are a pain to deal with and unless you are buying a larger collection, you don’t make much on them. Too many have values too close to their face value in the Greysheet. The 60-64 being the exceptions.

11. perpetualeverything

Well I am familiar with eBay, it wouldn't be too hard to list. I'll try my hand at that maybe.

12. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Research the sold prices on ebay and see what they go for. Could be higher or lower than what you suspect.

Draft saved Draft deleted