Need Help With 8 Reale

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Packrat, May 21, 2015.

1. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

Lady asked me to look at coins in her late brother's collection. There is a set-American Silver Dollar Collection with Certificate of Authenticity from American Historic Society. American coins are ok but I have no expertise in 8 reale coins. Just did a quick computer scan. The one pictured weighs 27.0 grams Is it real or just reale? Thanks in advance for everyone's help

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Hard to tell, the picture is microscopic.

Also, I knew a Packrat from the old FMDAC days, that you?

4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Here's an image from Google, of course no guarantee it's not a fake, date unknown, plus it's a different mint mark (I'm thinking the OP's coin is Potosi?).

C104 Peru 8 Reales.jpg

5. Packrat

I am not he. Is this obverse better? I haven't found anything exactly like it. 1808-03.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

That's a Bolivian Carolus IIII 8R Potosi PJ. 1808 was the last year of striking as later that year they transitioned to the Ferdinand armored bust. Weight should be 27g. Looks like a VF.

7. Packrat

Thanks so much. Any idea as to value?

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

see my note above.

9. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

It's reale, reale, reale, reale, reale, reale, reale, reale. In fact, 8 of 'em.

10. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Wrong. The singular IS real, the plural reales. One real, eight reales. And pronounced ree-ALL and ree-ALL-ace, in case you're wondering.

Wikipedia (and, any coin catalog) >>

The silver real (Spanish: real de plata) was the currency of the Spanish colonies in America and the Philippines. In the seventeenth century the silver real was established at two billon reals (reales de vellón) or sixty-eight maravedís.

Gold escudos (worth 16 reales) were also issued.

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

It looks ok , worth maybe $130 + depending on grade .

12. Packrat

Thanks for everyone's help.

Draft saved Draft deleted