Need help with 1955 Wheat head

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Overbayj31, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Overbayj31

Overbayj31 New Member

Hi so i baught some coin rolls a couple of days ago and I happened upon a 1955 D bronze (I believe) Wheat Head. I also believe it is a double die along with a lamination error. I'm not positive but there is something else wrong with it but I can't find any info so I was wondering if ya'll could give me some insight on this coin. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

First, welcome to the forum. Looks like a blob of solder on the reverse, I also see some environmental damage. Where do you see the doubling?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It is called a Wheat Back Cent.. not Wheat head and yes they were made of Bronze.

I see circulation wear and probably a thin layer of dried adhesive on the Obverse and solder on the Reverse

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

We sometimes see solder on penny's. Any idea what it would have been used for?

6. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I see doubling on the date and MM. Looks like machine doubling to me.

7. WDF

WDF Its all about history

Fuse box coin. Back in the mid sixties my dad would put a penny in the glass fuse receptacle before inserting the new fuse. Some of them would have a solder spot like the op's when removed.

Clawcoins and SchwaVB57 like this.
  8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Well, I remember those days too and I thought of that. But, most of them I saw had and arc strike on them. 1955 would be a good range for that. Thanks.

9. Overbayj31

Overbayj31 New Member

Do far ive gotten that it has the doubling i see it in the obverse and reverse, so us there a lamination error and whats with the spiderweb effect? Thank you all for taking the time to look at my coin and give me your opinions i greatly appreciate it.

10. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

You don't have anything on this coin that would give it any value. There are no lamination errors here either.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's just a damaged coin. It's worth face value.

12. STU

STU Active Member

I also believe it to be a fuse box coin as that's what they put in when they blew a fuse as an electrician for 50 years I have lots of them I find them when I replace the panel boxes with breakers and get rid of the fuses .I don't see any doubling at all

Heavymetal, ldhair and steve.e like this.
  13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Anything to keep the power on. Not many people even remember the old screw in fuses. You never had the right size when you needed it.

Heavymetal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted