Need Help on value & ID - please

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Fleshgrl02, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

Hi everyone,
    This is a September 11, 2001 $20 Republic of Liberia coin certificate. It is made by the National Collector's Mint. Now, this "bar" has tarnish on the edges. I did a lot of research on the company, and cannot find anyone else selling this bar. It weighs approx. 6.0 troy ounces or 186.76 grams. Now, the National Collector's Mint sells the exact same thing except it's not a bar. It is a Sep. 11, 2001 silver leaf coin "Bar." The design is the same. The only difference is that the item I have is not leaf. It is heavy, and has tarnish. It is a solid bar. Can anyone offer any reassurance this is in fact silver? I believe it is, but I want to see what everyone else thinks. P.s. It is non-magnetic. P.p.s No marks on the edges. Thanks everyone :shame:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

IMO, it's worth its weight in silver.

5. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

The National Collector’s Mint makes history with the release of this Government Authorized Non-circulating Liberian legal tender September 11th commemorative. This $20 Silver Leaf Coin-Certificate is payable like a silver certificate in coin-of-the-realm. This Coin-Certificate displays a standard $20 denomination on one side. But on the other side, it’s the first time ever that two separate denominations have been used to add up to the full $20 face value – it uses 9 and 11 to commemorate the 7th anniversary of the World Trade Center tragedy. This meaningful commemorative will never be released for circulation but it is now available through this special private striking at face value. Each 2008 September 11th Silver Leaf Coin-Certificate comes with a Certificate of Authenticity confirming it’s non-circulating Liberian legal tender currency, struck in .999 pure silver leaf. Each is individually numbered. Earliest orders get the lowest registration numbers.

It may only be silver plated. I found the above description at a place that once sold them for $20.00.

6. gronnh20

COA

Attached Files:

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

99.9% sure that is not solid silver. As gronh20 said, silver leaf.

Just because it's heavy and is tarnished does not mean it is solid silver. The core is probably copper or some other base metal. The silver leaf would tarnish just like any other silver would.

8. furryfrog02

Is that "THE" Barry Goldwater???
    Nevermind, he's dead...

9. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

With what's been previously said and the fact the bar does not state pure .999 silver or anything to that sort, I believe it to be plated or "leafed" with little to no ASW.

10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Unfortunately, fleshgrl02. I believe the others are correct about the value being extremely slight since it is silver leaf or silver plated...and that type of silver is not recoverable in any marketable way (i.e melt value)...

From past experience with plated items like yours, a dealer may offer a few dollars as novelty and try to sell it for the $10-$20.00 that was mentioned in another post---most will not take it at any price because they usually have 'tons' of them sitting on their shelves or bargain boxes....I believe I sold a few to a dealer for about $1.00 each.

11. gronnh20

I never even saw it. I think there is a J and an R after the name. Could it be his.......

12. furryfrog02

13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

It used to be Barry Goldwater Sr and then had his son as a 'spokesmen' and then several others....The company is in Port Chester NY and does sell desired items like Morgan silver dollars (the real ones produced by the US Mint), but also those over-hyped silver plated stuff that has virtually no resale value at all, except to the uninformed who may believe they are solid silver coins or certificates...

14. CJ Rude

CJ Rude New Member

I have 5 of these Sept 11th Silver Leaf coin certificates --- is there any value in them? Where can I sell them?

15. callmelater

callmelater New Member

Hello...
    I found this post when searching for others things and i find it very odd.....its not the usual 20$ silver leaf coin release for resale......i see 3 possibilities.....

FIRST : a early prototype of the steel master hub before making the final master hub with the final art design.....we can see many differences between your plate and the mass produced leaf coin like the antenna on one tower, littles details for some buildings, the Statue of Liberty torch and her pedestal.........a master hub (raised image) is made with heat treated steel and is use to make very few master dies (incuse image) via hubbing. The master die is then used to form as many working hubs as needed to make working dies for the coining process. That also explain the missing serial number who need to be unique for each coins. Your plate have also a more defined and precise design.....a good clue who indicate its used for a striking process.

SECOND : a rare collectible made for VIP peoples of the company who manufactured that product.

THIRD : a useless fake.....but a doubt it.

I'm pretty sure its NOT silver but if the first theory is correct it maybe more valuable that you thing.....i recommand showing it at professionnals who work in this domain.

GeorgeM likes this.
  16. diver Don

diver Don New Member

17. 43penny66Kennedy

43penny66Kennedy New Member

My ol lady has one as well not 6 oz though its barely over 1 oz silver leaf plating. has coa and all the crap that came with it.

18. 43penny66Kennedy

43penny66Kennedy New Member

and 3744 appears on the bill and coa

19. David Conover

David Conover New Member

lllllllll¹¹well ive got 2 silver least 999 commemorative of the world trade center 9/11 for sale 50 bucks for both of them with a case

Draft saved Draft deleted