Need help on Roman ID

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aaron Apfel, May 6, 2020.

1. Aaron Apfel

Aaron Apfel Active Member

Hi guys, I'm struggling to figure out what this coin is and was hoping to get some help. Unfortunately, it was not struck centre and is a bit worn, but I find it intriguing. Came from an uncleaned lot with mixed ancients.

Obverse shows a draped emperor with diadem. Only the first few letters of the observe are there, which appear to be either 'NIV...' or 'MIV...'. The first symbol may be a D although this could just be a dot?

The reverse appears to be a column with letters/symbols either side, and the letters 'CO...' underneath, this being the mintmark (maybe CON or CONS)? To the left there appears to be the remains of a wreath, indicating the design is situated within a wreath.

I have tried searching for emperors who had coins starting with these letters with a matching reverse but have found nothing. Hope one of you can shed some light!

p.s. The photo makes it look worse than it is, I really need to get a better camera for this!

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Probably a Byzantine coin of Justinian (527-565 A.D.) I'd guess 10 Nummi piece, 1/4 follis.

Justin Lee and Aaron Apfel like this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Edit: agree with above

Aaron Apfel likes this.
  5. Aaron Apfel

Aaron Apfel Active Member

Thanks! I suspect you are right, it matches some of his coins. It appears to be a 'large I' and not a column. Cheers

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

That's right - the large I stands for 10 Nummi. Glad to be of help.

Aaron Apfel likes this.
  7. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

@Aaron Apfel , you can crop and compress your images down to less than 100k (from 2.5 m) and insert them full size (not as a thumbnail) right in your post. That makes them easier to see and they will still look as good.

Yes, @ancient coin hunter has the identification right.

Aaron Apfel likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Everyone beat me to it. And I actually knew this one! lol.

Justin Lee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted