Need help on graffito coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Diomedes, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Diomedes

Diomedes Member

I saw this coin and the CNG said graffito on it and was wondering if anyone could tell me what this is and where it is on the coin and what it says.
    3940F9E2-B4AA-433C-8986-B86FFD69F360.jpeg
    6B2ADA8E-D1E7-4783-AE3C-3905D8B5D091.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Never heard it referred to as "graffito," but that is the singular noun form of "graffiti," which is what certification companies normally put on the label (to my knowledge). It is referring to what appear to be intentional scratches behind (to the right of) the bust.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It's graffiti and it looks to be behind the back/neck area of Augustus, as for what it says, no clue. Looks like some simple scratches to me, but could have been done, in ancient times.

philologus_1 likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Bunny ears for Caesar? :)

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Grading companies use the term graffiti, when they see damage like scratches and gouges on a coin, which are random and unidentifiable.

7. sand

sand Well-Known Member

It looks like, the graffito, is on the obverse, to the left of Augustus's head. Graffito is intentional scratches on a coin. Graffito usually lowers the aesthetic appeal of an ancient coin, and therefore it usually lowers the price/value. Unless the graffito is especially interesting.

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

How do we know they are intentional?

Pickin and Grinin and sand like this.
  9. sand

sand Well-Known Member

There is always a nonzero probability, that any scratches are random. I estimate that the probability is very high, that the scratches are intentional, because the top scratches are in the shape of a sideways "V", and the bottom of the bottom scratches are in the shape of a "V", and the left bottom scratch curves, which is highly unusual for a random scratch, and the scratches are much deeper than any other scratches on the coin.
    However, I have no idea, why someone would carve such scratches on an ancient coin. One problem with scratches, is that it is difficult to tell, whether a scratch is ancient or modern. Often, graffito is in a pattern, such as an "X", or a letter of the alphabet. The scratches on the OP coin seem to have no purpose. Perhaps someone was writing on a piece of paper, and the piece of paper was on top of the coin, and the pen or quill scratched through the paper, scratching the coin. If that is the case, then I would call that graffito as well.

Bing likes this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Hopefully someone can correct me. Thats a cool looking ancient. Centered reverse.
    I would search die records in the thousand years of auctions.
    a Silver Augustus.

11. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

it's difficult to say if this graffito is intentional. V and ... ? It seems to be very tiny.

Here are some coins with graffiti :

upload_2023-6-2_12-11-57.png
    Philip Arrhidaeus, drachm (graf. on reverse)

upload_2023-6-2_12-18-3.png
    Theodosius II, solidus (graf. on obverse)

sand and Bing like this.
  12. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted