Need Help - Japanese Currency

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ITHINKIVELOSTIT, Jan 21, 2018.

1. ITHINKIVELOSTIT

ITHINKIVELOSTIT New Member

Hi,

My Grandfather was in the military during WWII and stationed in Japan. He brought back the currencies pictured. Can you please give me details on them and what any of them are worth? I have no clue what I'm looking at. Is the coin a Tenpo Tsuho?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

The oval coin is 100 mon (tempo tsuho) 1835-1870. I know nothing about the notes.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  4. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

The two 5 sen notes are from 1944. The two ten sen notes are also from 1944, the top 50 sen note is from 1938, the bottom 50 sen note is from Showa year 17 (the 17th year of the reign of Hirohito, thus 1942), and the the last one is a B type yen used by the U.S. in its occupation of Okinawa.

5. Milesofwho

The sen is 1/100th of a yen

6. ITHINKIVELOSTIT

@derkerlegand do you know what the 100 mon tempo tsuho is worth? I have seen $12 - 2,800. How do I tell a difference?

@Milesofwho are any of the bills of any worth? Any links for where they can be looked up for value?

7. Milesofwho

In my experience a 100 mon is in about the $15.00 range, give or take. I do not believe the bills are of much worth, but I have a reference book that includes these notes (and two of them are in my personal collection!) so I'll take a look.

8. Milesofwho

Here is the valuation for the 100 mon
    F455F8D3-0353-4DC6-9BC0-6B9FDC46750B.jpeg
    I can’t really tell you the condition on yours, given that it’s cast and not made like modern coins. I’d say about Very Fine.
    Here are the banknotes. I’d say they all are about in the last grade listed, that is, Very Good to Fine. 9781DAA4-1C17-4773-BEAA-BDF226C8103F.jpeg

9. Milesofwho

10. ITHINKIVELOSTIT

@Milesofwho Wow! You are awesome! I never would’ve been able to track all that down.

11. Milesofwho

It’s just a bit of luck that I happen to have the two reference books.

12. Milesofwho

I always found it interesting that the 100 mom had the validation marks on the edges, especially because I didn’t find out about them until recently. I guess it shows that the edge isn’t often photographed.

Draft saved Draft deleted