Need help identifying this coin (Constantine II?)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by alltheway, May 23, 2010.

1. alltheway

alltheway New Member

I need help identifying this coin. I think its a Constantine II but I don't know which one it is. I've looked on different sites but could never find the face that matched. I hope the pics of the face are good enough. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gao

Gao Member

It's actually the more famous Constantine I. Full attribution:

Constantine I
    Antioch mint
    RIC VII Antioch 63
    Coin struck AD 329-330

O: CONSTAN-TINVS AVG, laureate bust right

R: PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG, a "campgate" with 6 layers and 2 turrets. SMANTB in exergue

During this period, you shouldn't worry much about the faces. They had become stylized enough where often the differences are more due to how the engraver happened to carve the die than they are who is supposed to be depicted. What you need to look for are primarily the legend, but also the details like what the emperor is wearing and what's on the reverse.

As for the "campgate," I left that in quotes due to the fact that while that's what it's referred to conventionally, but what is actually depicted is controversial. Some say that it's more likely to be a city gate or just a representation of city walls in general.

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Its a nice one

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The campgate type dates to the time that Constantine II was Caesar so any coin with AVG at the end of the legend will be Constantine I (or Licinius I but I hope you ruled that out early). There are later coins with the two soldier one standard reverse that come with Constantine II as Augustus so you have to be a little more careful separating them but campgate coins of the kids will end in CAES, NOBC, CAESS or something indicating the lower rank they held until Constantine I died.

6. alltheway

alltheway New Member

Thanks for your help. I'm still a little skeptical that it's actually Constantine I RIC VII 63. Here's a pic of what i found the Constantine I RIC VII 63 to be:

[​IMG]

If you look at my coin (first picture) and this coin, you should be able to see the bridge on the nose of my coin sticks out near the top. The one pictured above is like a straight slant. I'm not good with coins at all so I'm not sure if it makes that much of a difference. I use to collect coins a lot when I was a kid but not so much any more. If you need better pictures of the face let me know. I'll try to get some

7. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Dies for ancient coins were each engraved by hand, so every individual engraver gave his own particular interpretation of the portrait. The catalog numbers are based (for this period, at least) on legend, mintmark, and other significant things.

8. alltheway

alltheway New Member

Thanks Ardatirion. Makes sense since it was so long ago.

So does anyone know how much this coin might be worth?

9. Gao

Gao Member

Probably $20-30.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I'd guess around $15-$30

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Seriously? Given the photo in a holder, I'd be interested in hearing how anyone could arrive at an appraisal. For a coin this common, eye appeal is everything.

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

:goofer: just a guess

13. alltheway

alltheway New Member

wow! $15-30 sounds pretty good. Thanks for the info

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Just a guess, as Doug pointed out, its still in the holder and not so easy to tell, might be less.

Draft saved Draft deleted