Need help identifying this ancient coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Traders101, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Traders101

Traders101 New Member

This came into my shop, definitely an old coin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. DSC07146.JPG DSC07147.JPG DSC07148.JPG DSC07149.JPG DSC07150.JPG DSC07151.JPG DSC07152.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Appears to be a widow’s mite to me…

spirityoda and Paddy54 like this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The star and anchor make me think it's a prutah of Alexander Jannaeus.

Ryro likes this.
  5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I admit I am no expert here, but we are saying the same thing, right?

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Yeah. I'm just a windbag.

FitzNigel likes this.
  7. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Not at all! I had a sudden moment of self doubt that I had gotten it wrong

8. Traders101

Traders101 New Member

Thank you for the quick replies, definitely got me closer to it, looks to me like the coins was slightly larger originally. Maybe a tree in the middle with something off to the left? Any clue on value or age of these cool little coins?

9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That "tree" is an anchor. Here's an example from my collection to help you understand the issue.

[​IMG]
    Alexander Jannaeus (Yehonatan), 103-76 BC.
    Judean Æ Prutah, 1.85 g, 13.7 mm.
    Jerusalem mint.
    Obv: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΧΑΝΔΡΟΥ around anchor.
    Rev: Star of eight rays between which Hebrew legend, "Yehonatan the King," all surrounded by diadem.
    Refs: Meshorer Group K; Sear 6087; Hendin 1150.

PeteB, Andres2 and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I qas thinking widow mite at first glance ,but truly not an expert in ancients. Nice tag

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You asked about value. These are very, very common coins. They are rarely in really nice condition so something in the low end like this will be worth 1% of one of the best ones. There are many minor variations in style and die quality but most people just want one or two because it was mentioned in the Bible rather than flyspecking things on them. I'll also mention that there are a million fakes out there. I have seen rather few that look like yours so I wonder if it was carried as a pocket/purse piece for several years by a Christian who was aware of the story.

If you were to try to sell such a coin to a collector, the offer would be a dollar or two. Collectors like better looking examples and might pay $50-100 for a decent one but would not pay anything for one with fewer details. If you are a pawn shop intent on taking money from the ignorant:
    https://gspawn.com/widows-mite-coin/

These are mid-grade. They would sell for $5 to $100 depending on who was selling.
    ju0080bb0639.jpg ju0100bb2532.jpg ju0110bb2546.jpg

PeteB, Andres2 and Roman Collector like this.
  12. Traders101

Traders101 New Member

We strive to be one of the good pawn shops, that's why I ask about the value so I could price it accurately. It came in with a necklace, mounted in a Jerusalem style cross pendent. Might just keep it as a little display piece. Thank you for the plethora of info Doug!

Draft saved Draft deleted