Need help identifying these pennies...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MRosario, Mar 29, 2015.

1. MRosario

MRosario New Member

MRosario-Pennies.jpg MRosario-Pennies.jpg Hi fellow coin collectors. I've had these two pennies in my small collection for quite some time but have no idea what importance, if any, they have.

1. A flattened out, semi-melted penny from the 1950's - It is in quite a bad shape but what intrigues me so much about this piece is that it is very thin, like half the width of a regular penny

2. A 1943 D steel penny - I think this one is not that one rare species that everyone is talking about but it is steel nonetheless; I tested it out on a magnet.

If anyone here can take a look at the attached pictures and provide some insight and recommend that these be appraised it will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    MRosario

KurtS and Mikey Zee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

The 1943D is steel. Nothing out of the ordinary.
    The 1950 I can't really make out since I can't enlarge your pictures. It isn't melted though. Most likely post mint damage.

MRosario likes this.
  4. MRosario

MRosario New Member

Thanks @furryfrog02. Any info on what would've caused it to be so thin without enlarging its size? It exactly the same size as regular penny.

5. furryfrog02

The ones I have seen before have had some type of acid used.

MRosario likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

Can you take better pictures of the 1950?

7. MRosario

MRosario New Member

I actually scanned it. Is that bad? LMK if I should re-scan or if I should take pix instead.

8. furryfrog02

IMO pictures are better.
    It is most likely just PMD but I would like to see more detailed pictures if at all possible. The lines on the obverse make me think of this also: http://www.error-ref.com/split_plan_before/

MRosario likes this.
  9. MRosario

MRosario New Member

Ok, here are a few pix I took with my phone. One side by side with the steel penny for comparison and one by itself. The others of both sides...

Attached Files:

10. MRosario

MRosario New Member

Re: the link you sent earlier; this one does look like the pix on the page...

11. furryfrog02

Interesting. I'm not seeing any of the pitting you would normally see with the acid-bath coins. Hopefully someone else will chime in here :)

MRosario likes this.
  12. MRosario

MRosario New Member

Oh ok. Will keep an eye on the thread. Quick question: Planchets are quite common, correct? I also have one (attached pic) but not sure if it is it or not. It was in my loose change so I'm guessing it is?

Attached Files:

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. furryfrog02

They aren't common but they aren't rare. I've found several in my time roll hunting. You could maybe get a couple bucks for it. Fun find in your change though :)

MRosario likes this.
  14. MRosario

MRosario New Member

Oh ok... I'm still new to collecting and I almost threw it away! :facepalm: Good thing I kept it. I have a few other interesting items in my collection. Here's a sneak peek..

Attached Files:

NOS, Mikey Zee and furryfrog02 like this.
  15. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Nice little 'hoard'....Some old wheaties and a buffalo nickel and SILVER.

Prior to 1965, circulating coins were 90% silver and you obviously have a few. That's to say, they significantly exceed the face value and are worth at least silver melt by weight and %....and several sites you can google have a conversion 'service' that immediately lets you know the silver value---junk silver we call it.

And, some may have scarce dates or mintmarks that even increase the value more...like a 1932-S Washington Quarter for example ( that's a super-key rarity for the series)...definitely check them out before you spend them or give any away....

The 'Mercury' Dimes are silver and most of the quarters as far as I can tell...Good luck!!!

16. jookey2003

jookey2003 Active Member

Struck on split planchette

KurtS likes this.
  17. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Yeah--I wondered about that too. The weakness is where you would expect if there wasn't enough metal to strike up Lincoln, and the reverse reflects that too. What is the weight? Acid will eat away the coin, but the look is much different.

18. jookey2003

jookey2003 Active Member

uploadfromtaptalk1427688484049.jpg it reminds me of my nickel

KurtS likes this.
  19. MRosario

MRosario New Member

Thanks @Mikey Zee! And can you believe I have not spent a dime (pun intended) on any of these? :) My mom and many of my relatives collect, so I've learned what to look for when I have loose change in my pocket. I also have a couple of silver dollar notes, nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can tell, and a couple of 2 dollar bills just for the fun of it since those are pretty rare to come by here in the East coast. Some of the other wheat pennies I have are: 1934, 1944, 1952, 1953 and 1955.

Another interesting story; my older brother, who is now in his 50s has a huge collection of international currencies from his early years as a CB radio enthusiast. Back in the days (and I'm saying 70s-80s) and when there was no Internet, one sign of friendship when connecting with overseas CB radio enthusiasts was to trade post cards with the country's currency taped to them, mostly coins. He's got a huge binder with currencies from all around Europe and Latin America. I always admired him for that.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Mikey Zee likes this.
  20. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Welcome MRosario: Love your post about your interests and growing collection... and your brothers currency collection!!

I mostly focus on Ancients now and had to sell most of my US coin and currency collection two years ago, but I have started replacing it on a smaller scale since last December...starting from 1 of 2 remaining Ancient Albums and a scattering of US Types..

Now, I have numerous colonials and early issues and will continue filling the holes in a US Type collection---and I have several CSA notes--not yet being able to replace the US currency I sold...and I have only one (1) remaining World-Wide note: a Thai Baht note dating to my year in-country (in the USAF) during 1971-1972.

Best of luck, and I look forward to seeing your future posts!!

21. MRosario

MRosario New Member

So cool @jookey2003. My penny looks exactly like your nickel! And I thought it was some sort of post-mint damage like it got ran over by a car or something. I also have a quarter that is quite badly damage. I put it aside thinking it was intentional. I'll dig it up and post a pic later tonight. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted