Need Help Identifying Roman Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TTang, Aug 15, 2021.

1. TTang

TTang Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Coin 1: Lost cause

Coin 2: Constantinopolis OR VRBS ROMA city commemorative, with GLORIA EXERCITVS reverse.

Coin 3: Gallienus bronze antoninianus. Providentia reverse. Try wildwinds for the legend and reverse combo. This is quite a nice coin.

Coin 4: Constantine II. GLORIA EXERCITVS reverse. Encrustations make identifying the mintmark rather impossible.

4. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Hi!

I don't think it is impossible to attribute the first coin. You may need to examine it more closely. And it may need some tidying - but be careful. Have you tried to brush it a bit with a very soft tooth brush?

Here is a link to a website I used a great deal when beginning to learn about Roman ancient coins. The webpage seems redesigned and looks like it will be even better than before with the inclusion of historical maps and Greek and Byzantine ancient coins, too. I am sure a non-Spanish speaker can easily figure out to use the site by looking at the various reverses, rulers and such.

https://www.tesorillo.com/aes/index.htm

Then between that site and Wildwinds (very useful when trying to narrow down an attribution), you should be able to figure out your first coin. Good luck!

https://wildwinds.com/coins/ric/constans/i.html

p.s. - edited to suggest perhaps that first one may be some type of fallen horseman... just a feeling.

and here is the English version of the Tesorillo site:
    https://www.tesorillo.com/aes/home.htm

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

On coin photo #5, note the misspelling of GALLIENUS.
    The die cutter did not include the letter “I”: GALLENUS.

6. Harry G

Harry G Well-Known Member

Ah yes, I just noticed that too. I can't find any matches on acsearch, Google or ric online. Fascinating coin!

7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Fun!
    Can't wait to hear what our experts say about this one.

8. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

The only GALLENVS I found on Wildwinds was a provincial from Viminacium. The plot thickens.

LaCointessa likes this.
  9. TTang

TTang Member

Interesting. Another person told me the second coin was a product of Marsden Principal Mint and was a mule. Is that plausible? Sorry I don't know too much.
    Thanks for your help!

10. TTang

TTang Member

Thanks! I'll check out the website listed and study it a little. I'll also try with the toothbrush and let you know the outcome.

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Are you familiar with THIS site? Granted, it doesn't mention spelling errors and such, which are just idiosyncratic features of a particular die and not a separate issue, of course.

For example, here's the listing for the OP Gallienus coin:

Capture.JPG

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  12. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Not exactly. A mule would be an accidental, mistaken pairing of an obverse and reverse die. The coin in photos 3 & 4 is an official issue. The Two-Soldiers Reverse (#3) is usually paired with a portrait of an emperor, and the Constantinopolis Obverse (#4) usually has Victory on the reverse--check reverse type 15c on the page I linked to--so that's probably why the other person described it as a mule.

I've never heard of the Marsden Principal Mint. The mint mark on your coin is under the two soldiers on the reverse.

Draft saved Draft deleted