Need help identifying portrait please

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BRandM, Feb 16, 2015.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I hope one of you medal collectors or anyone else can help me with this. The image is a portrait counterstamp I recently won on eBay. It's stamped on an 1862 English Penny. Unfortunately, the coin and stamp are so worn that I can't identify it.

The lettering over the bust is partially worn away. It appears to have seven letters in it, but I'm not sure. It may read "REY**AD" or something similar. The only letter that I'm 100% sure of is the second one; "E". Apparently, it's a name, but could be a political slogan instead. It has a Spanish -look to it, but, again, just a guess.

I'm hoping someone on CT will recognize the portrait or the phrase or name on it. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions on this one. Thanks so much!

Bruce English Portrait 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

It may be the image in reverse that has been punched or pressed onto the penny, so the lettering might be better viewed in a mirror.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Mirror image.

English Portrait 1.jpg

BRandM likes this.
  5. BRandM

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I'm still not able to make out any more detail. I suppose I should consider the portrait to be that of a prominent Englishman of about the same time as the coin was minted. The wear on both coin and stamp are significant and equal. Probably 1860s.

Bruce

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

7. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

That is a good mystery. The coin is from 1862, and in 1861 Queen Victoria's husband Prince Albert died. I am not able to make "Albert" fit into what is shown in the picture, but perhaps if it is him there are various letters or abbrevaitions referring to his titles (like the inscriptions - in Latin I think - on British coins).

It is probably not him, but the heavy wear implies that the counterstamp was done at or close to issuance of the coin. Also, that pointy chin could be remnants of a beard.

What else could it be? A foreign advertisement meant to circulate outside of England? A die from a button maker? A political token? A posthumous memorial of some kind to someone?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    BRandM likes this.
  8. BRandM

Good to hear from you again, Jeff. It's been awhile.

This really is an interesting portrait stamp. The profile isn't familiar to me and, unfortunately, i can't make out enough of the letters to make even a decent guess as to what it says. Who ever it represents seems to have a goatee or beard and short hair, sticking up slightly in the front. As you say, it is as old as the coin or nearly so because of the wear patterns.

Probably an English political or military hero of the day. Your guess of Prince Albert is worth looking into, but I don't get the sense that it's him.He being stamped over the bust of Victoria would make sense though. I'll look into it.

BTW, you asked for my address or email...don't remember which...awhile back. I sent it to your personal email address but I'm not sure you ever got it. Some messages I've sent in the past have gone to spam. I think you were going to send me something but I don't remember what it was. In any case, if you need any of my contact information, please send me a P/M.

Thanks for your input on my counterstamp. Stay in touch.

Bruce

9. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

Yes - will be in touch at some point after the snow is behind me...

Good idea on the military angle. The UK of course has a military history all its own so it could well be a British war hero.

I checked and it is not a Prime Minister, but because the elections in the UK work differently than in the US (the majority party in Parliament picks the PM), it is not so easy to find a list of unsucessful PM candidates. In modern times it may be presented as an election between two people, but technicalky speaking it is an election bwteen two parties with a designated person set to become PM if their party is victorious. Plus, early elections can be called.

10. sshafer11

sshafer11 Head Research Assistant - Coin Show Radio

Is that a goatee? Kind of looks like Napoleon III. At least that's the first figure that came in to my mind. Of course, being on a British coin its probably a long shot.

BRandM likes this.
  11. BRandM

Looks like a goatee to me too Sam. At this point it could be anybody. It's kind of a distinctive profile so if someone comes up with the right portrait it should be pretty obvious. The hunt goes on!

BTW, I haven't forgotten about your stamp, Sam. Nothing to report, but there are 3 or 4 other knowledgeable people I know who are working on it. I'll keep in touch.

Bruce

12. BRandM

I wasn't thinking so much as to a political campaign "advertisement", Jeff, but more a tribute to an important political leader. I do think there's a military connection though, not so much political.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted