Need help identifying old German Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Gregg702, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Gregg702

Gregg702 Active Member

I think it is from the 18th or 19th century. It is about the same size around as a silver dollar, and weighs 16.2g.

IMG_1924.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Bayern, longshot and Noah Finney like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

It reminds me a lot of an Austrian coin but it's not one I can find. Perhaps @spirityoda can find it in his books. Also, fyi, your bottom picture needs to be rotate 180 degrees to be properly oriented.

4. Gregg702

Gregg702 Active Member

Thanks, I will edit it now.

5. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I agree. It somewhat looks like some Austrian coins I've seen from the era, but I'm no expert.

6. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

It looks like a copper version of a German States silver coin of Jever or Emden of 28 stuber.

The reverse shield doesn't exactly match the shield on the silver coins.

:)

7. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

Yes, here is the Jever coin as referenced by willieboyd2 (well circulated, from my collection) ~ 9FA9AD18-F7EB-4088-A948-F7BF6DBBFE44.jpeg
    BA92026D-6CD1-4B2D-86D5-E38DD28348DF.jpeg Very similar overall, but clearly different shield devices and metal as mentioned in the previous post. The coin in question could also be a 28 schilling denomination, although this too should not be in copper~and it appears that I can see the name ‘IOHAN’ (Johann), but the rest is difficult to make out. I am thinking it could be a contemporary counterfeit, also.

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

German States/Jever ND(1649-51) KM#40 , 28 Stuber (Gulden) denomination. silver,
    grade/value from 2003 17th century World coin catalog.
    VG-$25.00 F-$50.00 VF-$110 XF-$175
    not sure what your coins grade is ???

Bayern and chrisild like this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

does your coin look copper color ?

10. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

Ok, upon further viewing,I think your coin has the basic lettering (there are slight variations) of the Jever 28 stüber, with Anton Günther as Count of Oldenburg, Ferdinand III of Austria as Holy Roman Emperor~ but again, the arms are different. The Jever coin pictured above from my collection, and mentioned in post #7 by spirityoda, has a coat of arms featuring the Jever lion within the smaller central shield, with arms of Oldenburg appearing in 1st and 4th sections, and Delmenhorst arms appearing in 2nd and 3rd. Your coin features completely different shield devices to this~ which normally would mean it came from another area, but since we have Anton Günther as ruling count, this negates that possibility. And if your coin is copper, as it appears in your photos, then that also creates another problem, as the actual coin is .560 silver, weight of 19.5g. My conclusion is that it is a contemporary counterfeit, which is still quite collectible. But maybe other members can shed further light on this :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Numismat, Gregg702, longshot and 2 others like this.
  11. Gregg702

Gregg702 Active Member

Thanks everyone. It is copper.

12. Gregg702

Gregg702 Active Member

Here is the spectrograph of the metal breakdown, if anyone is interested.

IMG_1926.JPG

The small bit of silver could mean it was plated at one time. It also feels old, due to the pitting. Any chance it is a 17th century counterfeit?

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I do not know.

14. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Great job with the spectrograph. I have seen quite a few old German coins and yes, this looks like a counterfeit. Contemporary? Sorry, I don’t know.
    @Rheingold

Gregg702 and Bayern like this.
  15. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

I believe it is a contemporary counterfeit, but would say try to check further to be sure. Also, try posting on Numista, as there are several people there that have are very knowledgeable on contemporary counterfeits. https://en.numista.com/forum/

Gregg702 likes this.
  16. Gregg702

Gregg702 Active Member

Thank you guys once again for all your help.

Bayern likes this.
  17. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

Just to clarify, when saying ‘contemporary counterfeit’, I am meaning contemporary to the time the coins were actually in circulation.

Gregg702 likes this.
  18. Gregg702

Gregg702 Active Member

Thank you for clarifying that.

Bayern likes this.
  19. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I agree with contemporary counterfeit, and quite crude design at that. Crude design = good to most CC collectors :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    spirityoda and Bayern like this.
  20. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Very interesting!!

Draft saved Draft deleted