Need help identifying coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Valentorg, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Valentorg

Valentorg New Member

I've come across 5 coins that appear to be Asian, from what I can tell of the writing/symbols on them, and seems to have pictures of people in different sexual positions on the back(or front?) They're all the same, except one of them is missing the back(or front).
    I have no idea what these coins are, where they're from, how old they are, etc.
    If anybody can help, it'd be much appreciated. :smile
    I have pictures:
    Coin1.jpg

Coin2.jpg

This next one is strange, it has the side with the letters/symbols, but it's as though someone took the other side off and just left the hollowed out inside of it.

Coin3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Souvenir from China.

4. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

Coin1.jpg

It's a Chinese "marriage charm" which I discuss in detail at "Chinese Marriage Charms".

These were used to educate newlyweds, and the bride in particular, on what needed to be done on their wedding night to fulfill their obligation to family and Confucian society to have sons.

The Chinese characters are read in the following order: top, bottom, right, left.

The inscription reads ming huang yu ying and translates as "Emperor Ming imperial shadow". This is a reference to Emperor Xuanzong of the Tang Dynasty and his beautiful concubine Yang Guifei.

An old charm with this inscription can be seen here.

Your charms, unfortunately, are not old but rather modern reproductions.

Gary

5. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

The last one is half of a a "magician's coin". There is another coin that has been milled down to fit in the pocket and create a two-headed coin variation.

6. Valentorg

Valentorg New Member

Thank you all for your help. :)
    It's interesting knowing what these coins mean, though I admit I was kind of hoping for something a bit more grandiose. Oh well, not a big deal.
    I might have another coin to be identified if I can find it...I'm not really sure where it is at the moment.

7. Mooonchild

Mooonchild New Member

I have a similar wedding charm/coin that i dug out of my yard in Memphis, TN. I am sure it couldn't be anything bery old or rate, but i am curious as to who made reproductions and why, and how it may have ended up in my yard from long ago. Any thoughts or insight?

Draft saved Draft deleted