Need help identifying ancient coins I was given.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JGcoins, Sep 17, 2021.

1. JGcoins

JGcoins Active Member

A lady at the antique shop I frequent knows my interest in coins and I haven given her lots of costume jewelry for her to sell, so in return she game me these coins. I know nothing but what the cardboard in the box said. "Libya coast, supposedly old roman." Idk about Roman, but maybe Greek, Kyrene? I believe they are all bronze or copper. Tell me what you think, and I apologize in advance for the photos. I will work on getting better ones. Thank you.

20210917_104323.jpg 20210917_104618.jpg 20210917_104712.jpg 20210917_104746.jpg 20210917_104805_1.jpg 16318943869764396978643697658783.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

The middle coin and the one on the right are late Roman pieces dating to the 4th century. I can't make out the name of the emperor on the right one, but it likely is Constantine II (337-340 A.D.) or Constantius II (337-361). The reverse type shows two soldiers with a standard in between. The legend reads "GLORIA EXERCITVS" or the glory of the Army. The middle one could be Valens (364-378) but it's hard to make out from the portrait. The coin on the left appears to be a sestertius (large bronze coin) from the Antonine period as a beard is visible, therefore Antoninus Pius (138-161), Marcus Aurelius (161-180) or his son Commodus (180-192). That would be my guess.

4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Hard mode.

From left to right, top to bottom:
    1. No clue
    2. Valentinian I
    3. Constantius II
    4. too dark
    5. Gallienus
    6. Constantius II??

These are suuper dark.

5. JGcoins

JGcoins Active Member

Gotta love cell phone cameras, thanks though. I will play with some lights and update photos

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

They are all Roman.
    The top looks like it may be a drastically and harshly (over)cleaned Trajan. Though, that is in large part simply due to the amount of letters surrounding the portrait (he liked his titles). Sadly the LRBs are harshly cleaned as well.

dougsmit and rrdenarius like this.
  7. JGcoins

JGcoins Active Member

Thanks for all the feed back and better pics will come. Glad y'all could identify them as roman and not Greek. Im not up on my ancients.

8. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

All I can say is that I think they are very late (4th-5th century) Roman coins due to how debased they are.

The debasement got really really really bad by the end of the Roman Empire and coins that were originally supposed to be pure silver ended up being pure copper with a very light silver wash.

9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Fair, but I can identify several of these just by appearance; color isn’t always the best way to go.

Ryro likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted