Need Help Grading

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ollyoccia, May 25, 2016.

1. Ollyoccia

Ollyoccia Member

I am a novice at the hobby and fell in love with the below coin and purchased it. Wanted to get some more expert opinions on the grade. I know SEGS is a second tier grader so wanted to get some more expert opinions on the grade of the coin than my own since I am a novice. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated?....Thanks

Attached Files:

dwhiz and chridular like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You won't hear this often - that coin gets

gdcac.jpg

tmeyer, Cheech9712, coinzip and 9 others like this.
  4. Ollyoccia

Ollyoccia Member

What the heck does that mean?

5. zachfromnj

zachfromnj Junior Member

CAC puts stickers on coins to either reinforce the grade which is a green sticker or they give a gold sticker for coins that probably should be a grade higher. GDJMSP puts his seal of approval which is why his avatar is on the green sticker.

Fantastic coin pickup

Spark1951 likes this.
  6. Ollyoccia

Ollyoccia Member

Thank you:)

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You're new here, so obviously you don't understand. But that is, shall we say, my seal of approval. In other words the coin is graded correctly.

8. Ollyoccia

Ollyoccia Member

lol thanks so much I had no idea that is a great system!!!!

9. Ollyoccia

Ollyoccia Member

Thanks so much someone just explained below how the green sticker and gold stickers work:)

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

SEGS is a second teir service, but they do a pretty good job with non modern coins. I would say they got this one right. Nice pickup.

Stevearino likes this.
  11. Ollyoccia

Ollyoccia Member

Thank You:)

12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

What it means is Frank aka "Treasure hunt " Will most probably be making you an offer for that Green Sticker!
    As you see Frank has this envy thing about Doug Aka " GDJMSP "
    You should be able to get top dollar or a coin like an 1895 S Morgan from Frank for the sticker.
    BTW nice coin and welcome to the forum :)

Kirkuleez and Stevearino like this.
  13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I would put a Green GDJMSP sticker right up there with a hit on a like button......;)

Did you see that sticker Frank? :wideyed:

micbraun likes this.
  14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

SEGS is a "second tier grader" with a very important difference. The guy behind SEGS, Larry Briggs, is a numismatist of national reputation. He's an acknowledged expert on many issues (particularly Seated and Morgan coins) and author/co-author of some important reference books. Yes, his grading service can be a bit off-target on occasion, but you will never hear an ill word about the skill, reputation or honor of its' owner.

If we assume your coin deserves its' grade - and I say it that way because at MS66, professional-level images are required to form a worthy opinion and even that's as much guess as "expert opinion" - it's a pretty important coin. Yes, it looks good but this issue is what we call a Condition Rarity in that grade. PCGS has slabbed only 25 of them, and only 3 finer coins exist in their Population. In that era, paper money was considered much more useful than gold in the East -although Denver minted over 2 million of them, Philadelphia struck only 300,000. Many of those ended up stored in bags. As a result, although 1910-P isn't difficult to find in Mint State condition, very few survived that storage in a grade this lofty.

Fewer than two per year, on average, reach the auction block. The last one which did, in October 2015, realized $14,100. I would consider it a high priority to have the coin re-slabbed by PCGS or NGC, preferably the former.

This is quite the introductory coin for a new member. :)

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes, I saw it, and I'd trade an 1804 $ for it.

Great condition, comes with a P mintmark

[for Peking.]

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Doug, Doug, Doug.

That was just cruel!

17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

amazing coin. wow :jawdrop:

18. Ollyoccia

Ollyoccia Member

That's is so much good information thank you soooooo much:)!!!!!!!

19. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You're quite welcome. Being pedantic is among my favorite things to do. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Ollyoccia, great coin! May I ask if you bought it at auction, local coin dealer, eBay or private party?

Steve

chridular likes this.
  21. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

If you are relying on the opinions of members of CT to decide whether or not to keep this coin (assuming you haven't already made that decision), I suggest you either provide better photos, or get it examined in person. Especially in areas of the coin that are not fully revealed by the photos. I think I see some very faint lines left of Miss Liberty's portrait which could completely torpedo the assigned grade.

If you've already decided to keep it because you feel you paid a fair price for what you received, then our opinions should not matter.

- Mike

SuperDave likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted