Need help find mint(s) for several coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Joe Campbell, Feb 26, 2022.

1. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

Usually I default to Numista or NGC world coins but I’m finding a few gaps I don’t know how to close.

Take for example Guatemala 5 centavos. 1938 was minted at the Royal Mint in London. 1943 was minted in Philadelphia. But where were 1944 & 1945 minted?

I do need to know for this specific coin but wondering what process you guys use because I can’t seem to figure it out.

Thanks.

and just as an update I have collected 64 different US minted WWII foreign coins so far in February. Still have about 90 to go.

Joshua Lemons likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Good question. I assume it was the Philadelphia Mint. Even though it's not stated in Numista. They probably minted the rest up until 1949.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Joe Campbell likes this.
  5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Numista is crowd-sourced, so if you figure it out (with documentation), tell them to update the site.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  6. Joe Campbell

It’s crazy that in this day and Information Age that this isn’t readily available.

7. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

You are likely equating the English web, as indexed by Google with the sum of knowledge. It's not.

The answers are likely in the Guatemalan government archives in Spanish. On paper.

We see this a lot in World Numismatics. Join Numismatics International and ask there.

One of our members found themselves trapped in Madrid during lockdown. So they did what any Spanish-speaking speaking numismatist would do... obtained a researchers credential and spent nine months in the archives reading and translating the King of Spain's orders to his colonial mints.

MIGuy and Joe Campbell like this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Just curious, why do you want to know the mints that produced them?
    In going through a bunch of world coins, I did find it fascinated to see some countries using other countries mints to produce their coinage, but it didn't seem to be that important to the coin.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  9. Joe Campbell

I’m trying to put together a collection of all the coins the US mint produced during WWII. I’ve found several lists that people have put together but I’m a little suspicious that they’re incomplete.

No real reason why I’m putting together this set. I guess seeing P, D and S mint marks on foreign coins is interesting and first came to my attention on WWII issues.

Mountain Man and MIGuy like this.
  10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not really, but I'd readily agree that you're certainly not the only person to think that. In reality there is far more information that is not capable of being found on the internet, than there is that is capable of being found on the internet.

Burton Strauss III likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted