Need Help Deciding Please

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by collectingkid, Nov 5, 2011.

1. collectingkid

collectingkid Copper Collector

Hello,

I was looking at my Indian Head Cent collection for a while and realized I need some major upgrading. I started this collection when I didn't know how to do it, and I got coins that are G-4 with problems. Now I regret buying them and I want to upgrade to AU-MS brown. I was planning on replacing the worst ones first then the rest, but my coin shops have mostly silver and barely any ms or au IHC. Im going to the whitman show in Baltimore and that would be my only chance to get these coins in au and ms for a good price. I have a 1880 that is fully worn on the reverse :hail:. What should I do should I upgrade some and fill some holes? Or should I fill less holes and upgrade more. To be honest I would choose to do the second choice. I really want this set to look nice and I just hate to see black coins and ones with out reverses:).

Thanks for your help

Dan :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Most new collectors go volume over quality. If you are past that stage, (or simply changed your mind and now want nicer), I definitely would go for fewer, nicer examples. Pick out coins that make you hold your breath, those are the ones you will appreciate the rest of your life.

Chris

4. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Good advice indeed and something I am finally learning myself.. though I do get a touch impatient still.........

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Dan? Time is on your side. Go for the quality.........:)

6. CoinCast

CoinCast Member

I would upgrade those coins will become more valuable faster if or when you want to sell them.

7. collectingkid

collectingkid Copper Collector

Thanks everyone for the advices:) I will update on my upgraded coins soon:)

Dan

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

So do I sir, so do I. I try to buy better stuff, but I just received a lot of 7 Byzantine tetarterons I picked up for like $22. I was just too cheap to pass them up.

Sometimes "the deal" gets the better of me.

9. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Dan, be patient there is no need to rush, you have a lifetime to fill them holes. Be diligent and frugal when it comes to choosing the right coin. If it's not exactly what you want pass on it, you will eventually find the right coin.
    As for you local shop quality coins that come in go fast. So if your not there when they come in you may miss them. If I may suggest make a sound relationship with your local dealer and leave a want list with him stating what your looking for. When these coins come in they may call you and give you first choice or heads up that they just received some nice coins in and you may want to come see them before they are gone. Or deal with someone like The Penny Lady who specializes in the coin you want (in this case it's Indian Head Cents) Not all but most will run a want list for you and do your shopping for you,and if you don't like the coin your usually not obligated to buy it.

10. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

You already answered your own question, because it is your set, to do with as YOU wish:

"To be honest I would choose to do the second choice. I really want this set to look nice"

Draft saved Draft deleted