Need help dating British Penny 186?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by robertk310, Apr 29, 2016.

1. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

I'd like to get everyone's best guess for this British Penny.. I think i can read the last number of the date but I'm going to hold off saying anything as I don't want my guess influencing your answers. Also if anyone can/wants to include what they think this penny is worth, i'd appreciate it too! Thanks non advance! CM160429-03340402.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

1867? is my guess. Man, that babies seen some circulation...looking again 1863? lol

4. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

I love the pattern of the reverse. H penny obverse.jpg 1936 penny british.jpg eres a pic of the one I have.

robertk310 likes this.
  5. Ken Walker

Ken Walker Member

Sorry but at this level it's scrap copper, there is plenty better out there for very little money and you will appreciate your collection more

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Technically, scrap bronze value, as this was the decade the pennies became smaller and made of bronze. It could be 1867, 100 years before this design went out of circulation, so the condition is not surprising. Pennies from Victoria's reign, and even this design known as the bun penny were not hard to find in circulation in the 1950s.

Typically they were worn pretty smooth, of course, but sometimes you'd find a better one.

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I think it could be a 63 or 67. As others have said, it's worth very little. I find MUCH nicer ones in my LCS bin for 50 cents. I usually pull all the older Victorias I find but I would pass on this, even at 50 cents.

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

63, Scrap, I have about 20-30 kilos of them, waiting for scrap metals to rise.

9. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

Yeah, she's been rode hard and put away wet a few times! I tried as hard as i could but i couldn't get the angle to show what i think the last number to be a 9. So my best guess at the date is 1869, which does make it the Victoria bun head penny, which can be seen on the obverse.. And it weighs in at 4.7g. I was excited and sad to see that coin when my girlfriend showed it to me.. Thanks for your feedback about its worth... Or lack thereof..

10. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

63 or 68.

Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted