Need help attributing Gallienus PROVIDENTIA AVG antoninianus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This is a tough one because it just doesn't quite match any catalog description.

Gallienus PROVIDENTIA AVG antoninianus.jpg
    Obverse inscription is probably GALLIENVS AVG because there just doesn't seem to be enough room for IMP GALLIENVS AVG, given the overall size of the font. It's radiate and cuirassed, right. Reverse has PROVIDENTIA spelled out in full. No officina mark in the field. Obviously, there could be one in the exergue off the flan.

Looking in RIC, it is similar to 266 and 267:

Gal PROV RIC 267.JPG

The reverse matches 266 exactly, but its obverse inscription reads IMP C P LIC GALLIENVS AVG and it's a radiate head right, not cuirassed bust right. The obverse matches 267 exactly, but the coin bears no officina marks in the fields on the reverse, so that's not it.

There is a coin from Mediolanum, RIC 510:

Gal PROV RIC 510.JPG
    But that obverse is a radiate head, not cuirassed bust, and there is no officina mark in the field on the reverse.

That's the same coin as Cohen 880, and therefore not a match to mine:

Gal PROV Cohen 880.JPG

The closest thing in Sear is 10338, but that obverse inscription is IMP C P LIC GALLIENVS AVG and its reverse has AVGG, not AVG.

Gal PROV Sear 10338.jpg

And the closest I could find in online Göbl is 1088y, from Mediolanum, which matches the description of the reverse but not the photo, which shows an S in the right field. Moreover, the obverse is same except for the ribbons from the radiate crown.

Gal PROV Gobl 1088y.JPG

Am I missing something? Some other reference that has my coin? Do I have an undescribed variant?

Please help.

And, of course, post anything you feel is relevant!!

Marsyas Mike, Ajax, chrsmat71 and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Note Providentia's odd pose: while her shoulders seem to be squared up facing the viewer, her hips must be twisted 90° to allow her legs to be positioned as they are. Looks uncomfortable.

GerardV likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Man, @Roman Collector , you are so in your League. I have nothing to contribute, help, nor truly comment on your conundrum...

However, I DO have his wife and she has a deer! :D :D :D

So... my apologies... my post is irrelevant...

upload_2017-10-20_7-57-13.png
    RI Salonina wife of Gallienus 254-268 CE AE Ant 3.61g 20mm Rome mint 267-268 CE crescent Deer Walking delta RIC 15

Marsyas Mike, Ajax, dlhill132 and 4 others like this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I can't find anything that you haven't already. The closest to it does look to be that Göbl 1088y.

6. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Great provendentia

Attached Files:

7. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I had a quick look on gallienus.net, nothing there either. There are a number of coins with PROVIDENTIA AVG that are not in RIC or Grobl.

Roman Collector likes this.
  8. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

it's Göbl 1086aa

Marsyas Mike and Roman Collector like this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

10. Roman Collector

Thank you, Victor; that coin is not shown at online Göbl and I had no way of knowing. It seems it would be from the Mediolanum mint. Is that the case?

How did you find out this was the one? Do you have a copy of Göbl? Did you find it online somewhere? Do you have a link to another example of this coin online?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Marsyas Mike likes this.
  11. Victor_Clark

Yes, it is from Mediolanum, and yes, I checked in my copy of Göbl.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  12. Victor_Clark

I forgot to add, it is also listed in Toffanin's book MEDIOLANVM as # 146/1

this book cross references other catalogues

1509_mediolanvm.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted