Need Expert Help: Real or Fake? Definitely worth a Look...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JCro57, Dec 9, 2019.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

This Liberty Nickel weighs 4.2 grams. At first, I immediately thought "FAKE!"

However, do you notice the severe clashes on the obverse? I don't know if I have ever seen clashes on fakes before. Maybe it is common; I am certainly open to that. But I have quite a few counterfeits and I have never seen die clashes on them.

So, I am thinking that because this is 4.2 grams (.8 grams underweight) that maybe it isn't counterfeit and is instead either a severely rolled thin planchet or maybe struck on a foreign planchet. Next I am going to measure the thickness and diameter when I get home.

Does this look fake to you? I honestly haven't studied Liberty nickels yet. I am leaning towards "Yes; it's a fake." I just can't articulate why. (Other than weak details in the TY of LIBERTY and the bottom CENTS on the reverse.

Any comments/help is appreciated.

1888 5c Fake with Die Clashes OBV.jpg 1888 5c Fake with Die Clashes REV.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Clashes should be difficult to fake. I'm leaning towards real V Nickel.

Show the edge also.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am just wondering, why? If the original coin being copied had clashes on it, wouldn't they copy? If they were new dies the counterfeiters made, couldn't they clash them by accident or on purpose?

Just wondering why clashes are harder to fake than anything else.

Until I had proof it was an abnormal planchet, I am not liking the weakness on the coin not associated with wear, like the word CENTS.

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

If it were a "severely rolled thin planchet" the devises would be weak, wouldn't they?

JCro57 likes this.
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not really, as mentioned the coin the copied could have had clash marks, or the counterfeiters dies could have clashed. People used to tell me the same thing about die cracks. "you know it is real because has die cracks and the counterfeits don't." What the counterfeiters have been able to come up with dies that never crack? Baloney.

Yes but they would be weak in the high relief areas. I don't see any detail loss on the high relief areas of the obv, but the lettering on the rev seems grainy and mushy.

On the obv from 6 to 8:00 the denticals seem to have separated from the rim like beads. I really suspect this is a fake.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. paddyman98

Ok. Understood ;)

8. paddyman98

Ok. Understood ;)

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I don't like the texture on the obverse devices, and I don't like the vague denticles on either face.

Draft saved Draft deleted