Need Assistance with Corinth Stater

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kevin McGonigal, Dec 11, 2019.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I assume what I have here is a Corinthian stater, one actually from Corinth because of the qoppa letter beneath Pegasus, but perhaps it is from one of its many colonies. The coin appears to have some kind of die break from the helmet and along the face of Athena and what look like flow marks to the rear and bottom of her neck. There also appears to be a flan crack, especially noticeable below the tail of Pegasus. Any thoughts on the attribution or explanation of odd marks on her helmet and face? The coin weighs 8.6 grams. Thanks for any help. IMG_1224[2853]Corinth heads.jpg IMG_1225[2857]Corinth horse.jpg IMG_1222[2865]Three coins heads.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Yes, Corinth. I agree that what you're seeing on the reverse are die breaks. I don't seem to see a control symbol behind Athena's head. I don't have the Calciati reference, but from the Wildwinds' Corinth stater page, I think it would be either
    Pegasi 126, 149 or 159.

7Calbrey and kevin McGonigal like this.
  4. kevin McGonigal

Yes and thanks. I was afraid I was not going to get a response. I found one similar , Ravel 384, which is similar to Pegasi 126 and apparently was produced both with and without control marks. Part of that odd appearance on the face of Athena came from the original design, a wisp of hair, which has apparently been worn flat and smooth giving it the look of sideburns. Thanks and if you find anything else please let us know. I like to catalog my coins as accurately as possible and had no idea just how many varieties of Corinthian staters there were and that is not counting those of her colonies.

5. kevin McGonigal

I looked more closely at the Pegasi 149 and 159, which correspond closely to Ravel 607. Both of them have what appeared to me to be flow marks coming from the bottom of her neck. Apparently they are part of the design. Thanks again for that link. From what I learned there one could make a whole lifetime's study of just Corinthian staters.

6. zumbly

Yup, I believe that's her hair.
    Absolutely! They are pretty fun to collect by control symbol, mint, and pegasi types as well. Here's my little stable of Colts...

Corinth - AR Stater Thessalian Helmet 166 new.jpg
    corinth chimera New a.jpg
    Corinth - Stater Tethered Pegasos 3639.jpg
    Corinth - Stater Walking Pegasos 3477.jpg
    Corinth Pudenda Virilia new c.jpg
    Corinth - Stater Double Body Owl.jpg
    CORINTHIA Corinth - Stater Q Q 3729.jpg
    Arkanania Argos Amphilochikon stater.jpg
    Akarnania Thyrrheion - Stater.jpg
    EPEIROS Ambrakia - Stater Pegasos 3731.jpg

DBDc80, cmezner, Theodosius and 6 others like this.
  7. kevin McGonigal

I think that fourth one is going to have a hard time getting off the ground with so unaerodynamically shaped wings. Maybe its from North Africa or the Middle East. ;)Maybe with two humps, from Bactria.

8. zumbly

That die is worn, so it’s hard to see, but that’s actually the variety with the jet thrusters attached to the wings. :D

kevin McGonigal likes this.
  9. kevin McGonigal

Ah, what some older military members might recall as JATO, Jet Assisted Take Off, pods dropped off after the aircraft was airborne.

zumbly and Alegandron like this.
  10. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

What a great collection ,zumbly.

Here's my humble Akarnania stater:

P1170764.JPG

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WOW, @zumbly ! Really great collection focus! I like those a lot!

kevin McGonigal and zumbly like this.
  12. zumbly

Really like that Thyrrheion, Andres!
    Thanks. Is it focus? I dunno... I just like them ponies and adopt the ones that want to come home with me. :)

Alegandron and kevin McGonigal like this.
  13. kevin McGonigal

They come as plated fourees as well. This one was of excellent IMG_1229[2891]Green Cor Athena.jpg IMG_1230[2895]Green cor pegasus.jpg style but I wonder who the poor owner was when the first bits of silver flaked off.

Theodosius, zumbly, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted