Need an educated opinion on German East Africa rupie

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I'd like to add one of these to my collection, and I found one for sale, but the seller is in China. Normally that's all I need to know to avoid it, but I don't want to discount the possibility that there could be a few honest people in China. Here's the pictures. Can anyone who knows about the series let me know if you see anything that says fake to you, aside from the seller in China? s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I have a personal rule not to buy from China. @micbraun any thoughts here?

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Nothing obviously suspicious about the coin to me. There are some legit sellers in China. Most of them have NGC/PCGS slabbed coins among their inventory and you can verify the certs. If you want to drop the seller name here you'll probably get better feedback :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Hus.thaler

Hus.thaler Well-Known Member

Nothing in those pics looks blatantly suspicious. Looks like a fairly typical VF version of one of the more common dates for the series.

7. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it. The example in the pic looks decent enough, but I've seen way too many fakes posted on Ebay from Chinese sellers to take a risk on it. There are, of course, a few exceptions, which can easily be identified by the number of professionally slabbed coins in their inventory, but they are few and far between. As a matter of principle, I do not buy from Russia, China, Indonesia, India, or Vietnam, as those seem to be the major purveyor of fakes.

Just my two cents!

8. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Thanks. I decided to go for it. His other coins seemed like things a collector would sell and not common fakes, and he did have certified coins listed.

Draft saved Draft deleted