NEED ADVISE

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by SmokinJoe, Sep 1, 2016.

1. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe Well-Known Member

Found a 1939 wheat penny roll hunting...As you can see, it seems like there is green
    spots here and there ( Rust?) I want to put the coin in a cardboard 2 x 2 holder,
    But worried the green stuff will just keep growing ....What should I do?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Verdicare, acetone, etc. Yes, there are products for "can" (as in, Can I make an attempt at conserving this coin?)

But, in reality, "should" you put the effort into conserving a circulated common date wheat cent that, if you do a great job conserving it, is worth maybe 5 cents?

Don't get me wrong...I'd be excited about finding a wheat cent in my change. And maybe this is the perfect type of coin to practice your conservation skills...but personally I just would toss it into my cent jar with the others.

(I'm trying to fill one of these up with pre-1982 cents...once it's full, I'm going to count them then take them to the bank. Just for fun.)

FullSizeRender 5.jpg

Nathan401 and SmokinJoe like this.
  5. SmokinJoe

6. SmokinJoe

Thanks stldanceartist, your of course right, I just have a special love of wheat pennies...They may be only worth 5- 10 cents to everyone else, but to me they are worth much more ( long story) Wow on the glass jug!! Think you will need a fork life to get that baby to the bank! :)

7. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Right now that jug is to the point where it is at the limit of what I can lift...which is why it's on a rolling cart lol...

I am really curious if I ever dumped some Canadian large cents in there. I remember doing it, but I don't remember if I pulled them out immediately afterward. Guess I'll find out in a few months :)

SmokinJoe likes this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The fun part will be trying to lift it......... devil.gif

SmokinJoe likes this.
  9. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Careful with that jug - the weight of the cents pushing against the walls of that glass jug may get to a "breaking point" the more you fill it up. I always use the newer plastic ones.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

For some reason, I see a ship in the bottle. How are you going to get them out?

SmokinJoe likes this.
  11. SmokinJoe

Hammer? :dead:

green18, Santinidollar and Markus1959 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted