Need advice.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DorkNerd, Feb 27, 2019.

1. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

Can someone provide me links to a few reputable sites that sell uncleaned coins? I don't trust Amazon when it comes to this.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. schepys_coins

schepys_coins Eric's Best Friend

4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

5. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

If you're looking to get nice coins, you're better off buying nice coins to begin with. But if you just want the fun of cleaning them, go for it. I've bought from http://dirtyoldcoins.com before and found a couple keepers, but 90% are junk. Still had fun though.

DorkNerd likes this.
  6. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

Thanks guys! Yeah I enjoy cleaning them. Here's one I'm working on right now. I ordered 12 in a 30$ shipment off Amazon so I figured, if they are fake, then oh well these are good for practicing cleaning. Anyone know what "fake" this is? Again I'm terrible at finding references for these coins, I'm sorry if I get annoying with these questions. IMG_20190227_215016409.jpg
    IMG_20190227_215000907.jpg
    There were no details when I first started. I thought I had a blank that was worn down. What, if it isn't fake, could this be?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Orange Julius likes this.
  7. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

8. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

9. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Your coin was issued under the Seljuks of Rum,
    ruler Izz ad-Din Qilij Arslan II bin Mas'ud.

Ed Snible likes this.
  10. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

THANK YOU! I've been at it for what seems like forever. I can finally go to sleep!...or clean another coin...

11. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

I doubt you are going to find fakes in uncleaned lots. You will mostly find very worn coins or culls.

It’s still fun to do and very rewarding when you clean a coin and attribute it.

Draft saved Draft deleted