Need advice (Post 2 of 2)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Brad Harris, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Brad Harris

Brad Harris New Member

IMG_3861.JPG IMG_3862.JPG IMG_3863.JPG IMG_3864.JPG IMG_3865.JPG IMG_3866.JPG

Hello All: I know the pics are not that great but I was wondering if any of you all would look at getting these graded? If so who is the best to go with PCGS or NGC?

Thanks,

b

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Welcome to CoinTalk Brad! All are nice coins to save, but to get them graded will cost you more than they will be worth. They are common dates and not real high grade specimens. I am not trying to be mean, just an observation from your pictures. PCGS would be the best choice if you do go that route. Same response is for Post (1 of 2) as well.

baseball21 likes this.
  4. Brad Harris

Brad Harris New Member

I kind of thought the same thing. Didn't take it mean it all, I appreciate your reply and honesty...

Two Dogs and SchwaVB57 like this.
  5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The best advice I can give is simple:

If the value of a coin after it has been graded is higher than the value of the coin + the grading fees prior to it being graded, then having it graded is a good idea.

Alok Verma likes this.
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not always. Imagine a coin you have $50 in that you can sell raw for $70 or you can spend $25 to grade it and sell it for $85. $85 is more the $70 but selling it raw gets you $20 profit, slabbing and selling it gets you $10 profit. And you may also need to consider whether it would be better to sell raw and keep your money turning rather than have it tied up for weeks waiting for the coin to come back from the TPG. Is it better to take my profit now and use it, or possibly have to wait a couple months for a possibly slightly larger profit later.

Every situation is different.

7. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I know the question has been more then satisfactorily answered, but it's late, and I'm bored, so you get my 2¢ on this. :)

I'm not a Morgan guy, so I'll skip that coin.

The Franklin (which I do collect) looks like a nice original coin in decent condition, but it's too worn to be worth much. Even if it was uncirculated with full bell lines (FBL), '63-D's just don't have enough value to justify grading fees, unless you get into the MS-65 range. Even the '63-P FBL isn't worth much under MS-64.

The Buffalo (also of which I do not collect), looks like it's been harshly cleaned, and/or polished, so you'd end up with what's called a 'details' coin, killing the value.

So, I agree these don't warrant grading. As an fyi, while PCGS and NGC are the tops, ANACS is right there up there with them, and their fees are considerably less. My rule of thumb for grading is if the coin is worth $200 or more, you need variety/error attribution, or you need a decently valuable coin ($100 and up) authenticated. If you're having a coin graded with the intent of keeping it for your personal collection, ANACS is (IMO) the way to go. If you're planning on reselling the coin quickly, then go to PCGS or NGC (I prefer NGC over PCGS, personally), as buyers pay more for coins in those slabs.

Dunno if that helped any, but it gave me something to do at 12 am, so thanks! :D

8. Brad Harris

Brad Harris New Member

Thank you so much for the information! While looking at these I noticed that they seemed very worn for being in these cases.

Fortunate to be the beneficiary of your boredom!

Thanks,

b

9. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

Each of these coins have been cleaned somewhat harshly. They are all very common dates and quite honestly, you would be throwing your money away if you paid a TPG to grade and slab them. The Morgan and the Franklin are really only worth bullion prices. They look like many typical acquisitions from QVC.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

My axiom.........ya want it graded, buy it graded. Welcome Brad.

Stevearino and mikenoodle like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted