Need Advice on Nickle 3C

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evan8, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Picked up this really rare 1868 nickle 3C piece with about 175° rotated dies. http://rotateddies.50webs.com/census.htm only shows 1868 3C pieces with 108° and 115° rotations and both are R7. This one is almost medallic alignment but not quite and not listed there. Problem is that it has glue residue and I was wondering if I should crack it out and give it a soak in acetone. I have given silver acetone baths but not anything made of nickle and want to make sure it would be ok. If so, how long should it soak?

2017-08-21-18-59-38.jpg
    2017-08-21-19-00-06.jpg
    2017-08-21-19-00-38.jpg
    2017-08-21-19-01-12.jpg

$37 ebay purchase by the way.

C-B-D, Paddy54 and furham like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I can tell you this from dealing with glue in the past. Boiling distilled water will remove it in most cases,as most probably acetone. This issue is under that glue is another color tone of the coin. If the glue is removed the tone under it will be different than the natural surface. A catch 22.... if you get my drift. I can post a Morgan that glue was removed on its reverse and now two toned.

4. Evan8

I think the glue will bother me more than the spotted surfaces. I will break it open today and see if i can remove the glue.

5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Another option is to contact ANACS and see what they recommend, including doing it for you.

Evan8 likes this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Cool coin. Btw it's spelled "nickel" not "nickle," which I pronounce "nick-lay." :)

Evan8 likes this.
  7. Evan8

Oops im a dummy:eggface:

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Assuming you're comfortable using solvents like acetone, this is my recommendation. 1. Find some glue in an inconspicuous area like the rim from 11-2 or better yet, the edge if there is residue there. 2. Dip a qtip in acetone (or xylene) and gently dab (don't wipe or rub) that area. Remember, Acetone evaporates quickly. 3. Look at the coin and qtip to see if anything is coming off. 4. Rinse thoroughly in distilled water. 5. Assuming you were able to remove some of the glue, check the area to see if the underlying surface is toned differently than the rest of the coin.

You may want to try a second location. If you don't like the look of the underlying surface, you can quit without messing things up. If it looks like the glue is coming off and the underlying surface doesn't look bad, then try paddy54's method of soaking in distilled water. If some of the residue remains, you can use acetone to remove the rest of it.

I suggested acetone instead of distilled water for the test patch because it should work a lot faster if you're dabbing it on in a small area.

That's what I would do. Others may have different recommendations, so read them all and decide which, if any, is the best for you.

Don't forget that acetone is a flammable chemical and should only be used in a well ventilated area.

Evan8 likes this.
  9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I would take this one down the road @messydesk recommended, keeping Paddy's words in mind as a good reason. Yes, acetone will assuredly remove it, and boiling water most likely also since there were few inorganic compounds in use with glue more than 75 years ago. But what are you then left with, and is a coin with splotchy patina more eye-appealing than one with glue? Less relevant in this case, since the coin derives its' value wholly from the rotation.

But, there is no way to accurately assess the look of the result before you conserve it. It's a risk.

Evan8 likes this.
  10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider is that "Splotchy patina" is not going to land the coin in a details holder like "glue residue" will. I also don't think there'll be much splotchiness, since the coin was circulated before it was coated.

Insider and Evan8 like this.
  11. Evan8

Well it is done. Brought the coin to my shop this morning to break it out in the vice and then use the acetone. No traces of glue seem to be present now and doesnt appear splotchy either. I will post pics later when I get home.

Kentucky, gronnh20 and Oldhoopster like this.
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'd have taken the risk on it, too. Can't wait to see the after-pics.

Evan8 likes this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Good-o, nickel coins are almost as tricky to deal with as zinc coins. Can't wait to see it!

Evan8 likes this.
  14. Evan8

Alright. Looks to be a little bit still under the eye, but i think this looks much better than what it was.
    2017-08-22-15-54-08.jpg
    2017-08-22-15-54-39.jpg

A little splotchy in the photo but it has much more even color in hand.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well looks pretty good maybe another dip

Oldhoopster likes this.
  16. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMHO, you are not done. There is still a glue residue (yellowish discoloration) on the coin. Let it soak in acetone or Goo Gone.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  17. Evan8

Yeah that is what i was thinking after comparing photos. I will give another soak tomorrow.

18. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

SuperDave, posted:"But, there is no way to accurately assess the look of the result before you conserve it."

Actually there is. :D Take a look at the original image with the glue. Note you can see that the coin is gray under the glue. This indicates the glue came after the coin had developed the natural gray color.

19. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Looks like a win. The glue was applied after the patina fully developed, which you wouldn't have known before although it's a relatively safe assumption since it's a well-circulated coin that at least *some* of it would have been present over the whole coin..

Draft saved Draft deleted