need advice on a price for a 1916 d mercury dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by daniel a DiBiasio, Feb 27, 2021.

1. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

i am going crazy on whether to buy a 1916 d mercury dime that is a Ngc,Cac fine 15 Apmex is asking 3,229.00 for it.the thing that stinks though is Ohio sales tax will add another 220.00 to it. I would greatly appreciate opinions on whether this is a fair price and also will it retain its value in the years to come since its a key date.thank you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Don't go for it way overpriced you would probably be over paying by around 1 grand the 1916 D will always have a premium unless a hoard of millions are found which i doubt will happen

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

The price is about full retail.
    The tax is making it overpriced.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It should be about $2700 but I'm saying that without seeing the coin. I'm just looking at auction results.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sounds like the seller is asking top end for the coin. Best to look elsewhere.

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That’s currently a fair price for a CAC F15

8. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

Oh my boy DeWine!
    I wouldn't pay it. I would keep shopping. Unless the coin is that "good" to you.

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Gotta agree, pass, you can find a better one for a better price. ;) One of the first lessons to learn about collecting coins is to practice patience when shopping for a coin you want. I suggest buying one that's graded for $500 or $600, at least that's what I would do.

80s_Kid likes this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The answer to that is definitely yes!

LakeEffect and ldhair like this.
  11. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I can't stand that man. I voted for him once, the first time he ran for US Senate. Never voted for him again. Never will.

12. daniel a DiBiasio

thanks for all the great advice! i have no use for DeWine either.

manny9655 likes this.
  13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

No one can really comment about this without pictures.

The Grey Sheet spread is $2,100 in Fine 12 and $3,150 in VF-20. Add a reasonable profit for the dealer and you have a reasonable price. @Idhair mentioned $2,700 as a baseline which seems reasonable.

Be advised that what used to be a VG 30 to 40 years ago is now a VF.

About 15 years years ago I had want list client who wanted one that had all of the lines showing on the ax. I finally found one was in an EF-40 for him, but the price back then was under $2,000.

14. daniel a DiBiasio

yes,they are tough to find in any grades.i just can't justify oaying over 200.00 for the tax.

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

CAC price guide is $3,250 for a F15

16. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's ridiculous. Maybe you can get an out-of-state friend to buy it for you (with your money, that is) and then have him send it to you? BTW, what part of Ohio are you from. I was born and raised in Canton, spent a few years in Cambridge (my first job out of technical school) and now live in an Akron suburb.

17. daniel a DiBiasio

i'm from cleveland but live in amherst now

manny9655 likes this.
  18. daniel a DiBiasio

well i waited too long and it sold.i'm so bummed out.well i'm back on the lookout for another 1916 d mercury fine 12 or 15,hopefully at a little better price.

Draft saved Draft deleted