Need a Positive ID on some Ancient Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by CollectorCraig, Mar 31, 2011.

1. CollectorCraig

CollectorCraig Buckaroo

Hey again, folks. I have some more coins needing identifying.

I've had these coins going on 8 years now. They were a gift from my father. Just some of the many souvenirs he brought back from a sojourn in the middle east.

Here they are:
    001.PNG

I believe that the coin on the left is likely Greek. Other than that I don't really know much about either.

Do these appear to be genuine to anybody? Any info about their back ground would be greatly appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't do 'Positive' on these but you can take these guesses as a place to start.

The left coin clearly reads 'of king Antiochus' and the Apollo / Athena throwing is known to me by Seleukos I so I'd start looking with his son Antiochus I and proceed through the dozen kings of that name in the Seleucid dynasty.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I may have gotten lucky on the right coin. Sellwood, the standard Parthian reference gives lists as #79.50 a dichalkos of Vologases III with a date to the right of a facing head reading ANY and I may see traces of the AN on your coin. The reverse is Tyche seated left with a palm branch in front. The mint is Seleucia and ANY in Greek numerals would be year 451 of the Seleucid era or 139 AD. That is about as positive as we are likely to get.

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Well the left one is done in the Seleukos (Syria) stlye. I would pass, what are the odds of both coins being the exact same color and weight??? The right coin seems like an almalgum of eras totaly fake.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I stand by my ID of the right coin and see no reason to doubt either coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted