Need a Nickel Pro!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jim Johns, May 3, 2016.

1. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

I've started collecting Nickels recently and came across a few keepers here and there so far. I've been reading and trying to find info on the elusive 1964 SP Strike. I read at first that they were only super rare and all in the same collection of so and so who worked for the Mint. Then I stumbled onto a few stories stating the SMS coins of 1964 were not officially released as a full set, and the coins were produced and rolled up with the rest of em. Since time has passed I have seen 18 or so Nickels have been graded SP, along with the other denominations of 1964 and are worth around $150k in a full set. So there's quite the mystery behind these coins obviously. I'm wondering if anybody can shed some light that cannot necessarily be found on Google, considering I've been obsessing over these Nickels for days and found pretty much all I can from searching Google so far. Any help on the topic is highly appreciated so thanks ahead of time. IMG_20160503_075854.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I've seen the specimens that were discovered in the Nat'l Collection. I cannot add any info except that this is not one. The specimens have razor sharp details and a "matte-ish" field.

Some advice: Don't get too obsessed with one particular unusual coin. As a youth, I wasted YEARS concentrating on finding coins I read about such as the 1883 Liberty nickel with "S/S" in cents and the 1875 Indian cent with the "special" mark while all my collecting buddies were having more fun finding stuff like the 1916 DDO Buffalo 5c they were more likely to encounter! IMO, you might have as much luck finding an 1804 dollar than one of the 1964 specimens. Nevertheless, stranger things have happened. Keep looking for your dream while at the same time keeping your eyes open for other things. ;)

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  4. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

"The 1964 SMS coins are unknown even to many seasoned numismatists,” said Huber. “They have a surface texture unlike any other U.S. coins. There are more mysteries posed than facts known about them.”

All five denominations show dies that are extensively and haphazardly polished, apparently an intentional texture created by the Mint. The coins show little of the reflectivity of proofs, being rather satiny in appearance, but their squared-off rims, incredible strike sharpness, and excellent preservation identify them as coins that were created and preserved for some special purpose, Huber said.

- See more at: http://www.numismaticnews.net/artic...151200#.dpuf

Insider likes this.
  5. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

1436213565839d4dbefedb93n_opt.jpg This is a photo of a certified SMS 1965. I would assume the SP's were made to model the SMS, or are they entirely different? I also assume the "haphazard polishing" would prevent the Strike from being consistently solid? From what I read, the Razor Sharp texture was speaking of the higher than average rims, not the die itself? I could be and probably am wrong, but that's what I read from multiple sources.

6. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

This is a 64 SP Kennedy I tried to use as reference on the die polishing aspect.

Attached Files:

7. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

IMG_20160502_222520_opt.jpg That's a 64 SMS

8. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

9. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

Right on thanks Insider. I'm not too focused on a single SP rarity because I'm sure I'll never find it. I just obsess over one coin or another and happened to come across a "Black Beauty" in a roll of UNC so I'm just being optimistic. I take them as they come. I'd sure love to find a 1969S DDO cent but I'm not spending $10+/roll thinking it's in there when it's that unlikely

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Just remember, that's 18 identified as SMS out of a total mintage well over a billion.

When I was change-checking in the 1970s, it seemed like every other nickel I checked was a 1964. I like looking for needles sometimes, too, but I'd pick a smaller haystack. :)

11. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

I think the problem with the 18 may be that there are over 1 billion. It's so hard to tell the difference apparently that even the best are fooled, so a lot of people probably just threw these in their pockets and never thought twice. Nobody even knew to watch for them until 1993. You're right though it's a tough year for any coin considering the switch to clad and the 3 year freeze..

Draft saved Draft deleted