Need a little help with these Lincoln cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cmezner, Aug 23, 2018.

1. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

I have been a member for a while now and my interest is mainly ancient coins, have no idea of Lincoln cents

I volunteer at a local charity shop ( http://www.economyshop.org/ ) and somebody donated a Lincoln Cents - Collection Starting 1975, Number three Whitman Coin Folder containing 1 cent coins, exactly 67, as described in the folder, but they are not graded. We have to price it for the next sale, and nobody knows how. Our first and only approach is 67 cents + half the price of the album one can buy at Walmart for 3.99, that is, we would price it at $2.50.

Do you guys think this price could be raised a bit? I can take a picture of the said donation, but I have not done it yet. Maybe it is not even worth the effort....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Depends on condition

4. cmezner

Thanks for your answer CoinBlazer, would a picture be of help? I can take one tomorrow

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Put a picture up and you will get some help.

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The late book is not especially valuable. Sometimes they contain proofs. I should not worry too much. Price it at $29 to start and someone will probably bite, if not lower it to $19 and keep it there until it sells.

Ozzman likes this.
  7. cmezner

Will do :) Thanks!

8. cmezner

Thats a lot more than we expected!! Will take a picture tomorrow

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It really depends on the condition. If they are circulated cents that someone took out of pocket change, then $3 is about all its worth. If they are all bright red cents that nobody has touched, then it could be worth up to the $20 or more that was mentioned earlier.

I look forward to seeing a picture.

10. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Only a thought, cmezner - wouldn't be better to sell it through a professional seller, who would be more in touch with possible buyers, and they would maybe appreciate that coin's value more than most customers in a charity shop ? The seller could be offered a cut, although, if knowing it was for a charitable purpose, he/she might lower the profit margin. :greedy:

11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

As I said, don't worry about it and put a high price on the item. It is probably worth very yet it will bring a lot of fun for someone. The chance of finding a dealer to buy or sell it is extremely small. AFAIK, they sell books like this at coin shows for less than $15.

12. cmezner

Thank you all for your always great input.

I don't think the shop will try to find a professional seller. Sometimes what we do for more valuable things (around $100 or more), is to sell them on eBay. Recently, an old German big lab microscope from the 40's or 50's was sold for $500 to a buyer in Germany :-o

Most likely the coins are about $ 2.50 or $ 3 and as Insider said it will bring a lot of fun for someone :)
    Here are the pictures of the 3 pages as received at the shop.

Attached Files:

13. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Considering the work of your organization, I would gladly part with five bucks for the collection were I there in northern Illinois. Good luck!

cmezner likes this.
  14. cmezner

Appreciate your kind comment, thank you very much :)

15. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I would just start it at $5 and let happen, happen. That way you would get more than it's worth, and the buyer would name their price.

DEA and dwhiz like this.
  16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted