Need a little help from the currency guys.....

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dug13, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

My nieghbor’s Mom past away last spring, and she has inherited her folk’s accumulation of coins and currency. Her Mom and Dad ran a country general store in the early 1950’s through the late 1960’s. So it’s not so much a “Coin & Currency Collection” but rather a Coin & Currency Accumulation. I have inventoried and valued all the coins, the currency is outside of my wheelhouse. Could you guys give a ballpark value for me.
    FULL DISCLOSURE— not buying anything from her or making her offers. She has to split the accumulation 4 ways with her siblings. She just wants everyone to get a fair cut. Just looking for basic values.
    All notes are in heavy circulated condition. The last set of One’s are Barr Notes.

60502853-1CB0-4766-8A38-41AE73900FC8.jpeg 101ADFB2-35C9-477F-BD12-2D05357BD214.jpeg AD09EEBC-8B8D-4F96-973E-688989EDB78A.jpeg 17AFE8C5-0D4F-43FD-A28D-313F04F2B8AB.jpeg 514CFB55-BC73-4C98-B6BB-C3AF0750D6DA.jpeg

George McClellan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I don't see anything that stands out . Their all common. Most are sub-par except some of the 5's and 1963 B's $1 notes are in nice shape. Could you please show each denomination individually ?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  4. SensibleSal66

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I see very little value over face value because of condition. It’s hard to believe the OP didn’t straighten out the folds before taking the photos.

6. SensibleSal66

I soak em in water an press them between wax paper for a week and remove. It works .

7. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

beat to hell sadly the regular silver certificates are spenders

8. jamor1960

jamor1960 The More I learn, the Less I know....

I'd say to just tell her to divide them up evenly with her sibs and let them either, keep them (because they were from their mother) or spend them as they wish.

9. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

INCREDIBLE confession!! Please tell us you do not do that!! :stop::banghead:

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I see nothing special, no fancy numbers or the like. The condition is good at the best. They are nice to have but not worth any real money. The Barr Dollars are in better shape but I can buy them at my local coin shop for $1.25 each.

jamor1960 likes this.
  11. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

I still think they’re cool to own... even if they aren’t worth more than face value

jamor1960 likes this.
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

If the family is willing to take the time, maybe suggest they post them for sale online and hope for a small premium, otherwise, split them between the heirs as a memento of remembrance.

jamor1960 likes this.
  13. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your replies, I assumed they would be of low value due to poor condition and common issues, but always like to hear from more knowledgeable people. As I stated above, currency is well outside of my area of interest. Apologies to TampaSteve for not straightening out the folds. Big thanks to SenibleSal66 for introducing me to your website—looking forward to diving deeper into the site. (having surgery in a few weeks, I will have about 6 weeks of down time for recovery. Time to catch up on research and reading).

The coin portion of the accumulation was fun to go though, she had about $125.00 in face value silver coins. Everything from Barber dimes through Morgan dollars. She said every coin came from customers buying goods at the store. Including the Morgan and Peace dollars.

jamor1960 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted