Neat LRB: Constantius II from Ambianum

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by seth77, Jul 30, 2015.

1. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

This one is something that probably interests only enthusiasts of 350s coinage:

CONSTANTIUS II AE2 21mm 4g Centenionalis/Maiorina (aVF, patina, scraches)

AV: DN CONSTAN - TIVS PF AVG; pearl-diademed draped cuirassed bust r.

REV: FEL TEMP RE - PARATIO; roman soldier spearing fallen enemy, bear-headed.

EXE: AMB, Ambianum mint.

REF: RIC VIII Ambianum 48, rated as C (but very scarce) August - late 353AD.

Very scarce mint for Constantius II. The mint at Ambianum was opened by Magnentius and was closed soon after his total defeat and the city entering Constantius II's authority. This type was minted for a brief period from August 353 until the mint was closed before the end of the year.

ambianum1.JPG

dlhill132, maridvnvm, stevex6 and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Very cool! I would love to add that one to my collection. The history behind it only makes me want it more! :smuggrin: It may be just me but I find the style (of engraving) to be interesting!

I may some how fit into that category with my obsession of pre and post reform Siliqua!:D

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Of course, RIC rarities are only accurate over the samples taken by the authors of RIC. Some of the Amiens issues of Magnentius and Decentius are available enough (if you're willing to pay handsomely) despite their R designation in RIC.

Constantius II is much tougher (again, despite the C), and C. Gallus' one issue (RIC 47) is only rated scarce, but has anyone ever seen one? I'll bet Doug has an example in his drawer of FH's.

A great find!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I think that to a certain degree their scarcity is also prompted by the fact that these are easily overlooked, as they only appeal to a small niche of LRB enthusiasts.

I have only seen maybe 7-10 examples of Ambianum for Constantius II and none for Gallus. I also know that if you want one you might need a lot of patience and some luck as some might be in mediocre lots that dealers give close to no attention to.

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Yes. If you have the knowledge, junk bins at shows are a great place to find something rare on occasion. I have a handful of scarce issues that I found tossed in with common coins, only because they were of the same type.

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice score, Seth. Congrats.

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice! Very hard to find for sure.
    006.JPG

stevex6, dlhill132, Bing and 3 others like this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I feel that if you're going to cast a coin in chocolate you need to store it at the right ambient temperature to keep in from melting. That said, it still looks pretty yummy :D.

randygeki likes this.
  10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yours is hard for me to see as Ambianum style which requires in my mind the two horizontal bands at the back of the neck. Mine are Constantius II and Constantius Gallus. My Gallus has a die clash and other problems but they are not at all easy to upgrade. If you collect these, buy what you can and upgrade as you can.

rx6328bb2807.jpg rx7175bb3070.jpg

12. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Most likely because of thick patina and scratches on the obv. at the back of the bust.
    So 7-10 Constantius II and 1 Gallus, still very rare.

There is no doubt the OP is an Ambianum.

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I think Trier is the next hardest mint to find.
    1554612_615393961830852_2000425796_n.jpg

stevex6 and John Anthony like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted