Neat lowball trade dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mainebill, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I have no doubts on it as I had it in hand. I know the minute pits which I think are actually circulation marks that have mostly worn off make it look potentially cast. The edge reeding is perfect and just the overall feel of it is right. Just a well worn silver coin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Cool. I was just worried since I couldn't firmly call it a Type I Obverse from the images, and the wear seemed heavier on the rims than in the center. If you're sure, that's enough for me. :)

4. Mainebill

I'm 99% sure. But I've been wrong before. But so has pcgs. They called a large cent counterfeit (it's not) that had been graded genuine (details) by both them and ngc. Was trying to get it in a straight holder as then it makes a $600 coin a $1600 coin.

5. Analyst

Analyst Reporter, Researcher

Kentucky: <<Did these circulate in the United States?>>

Yes, they did to an extent; there is more information in separate works by Willem and Breen. It might also be a good idea to ask R. W. Julian and Roger Burdette. I would have to admit that my research so far regarding Trade Dollars has mostly involved grading them and writing about the scarcity of individual dates.

I have concluded that a set of business strike Trade Dollars 'by date' can almost be completed without spending as much as $500 on any one coin, perhaps even truly completed!

Classic U.S. Coins for less than $500 each, Part 7: Trade Dollars

Kentucky and Mainebill like this.
  6. Mainebill

I think even a damaged 78-cc will go over that. But my set im trying to complete will be a lot more than $500 a coin. Actually at my target grades it will probably average over $3k a coin. I'd like the common dates in 63-4 and proofs in the same range. The tougher cc mints I'm shooting for au and better. What I really want is appealing unmolested surfaces I'm thinking the right 78-cc will run me $8-12k

green18 likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The part of my thread you quoted was from discussion of what was occurring after 1876 and the legal tender status had been revoked

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Analyst

Analyst Reporter, Researcher

Condor101: << But with silver falling in price around late 1874 or 1875 the face value of the coin exceeded the silver value and they were now worth more as a dollar in the US than as silver in China. At that point they started coming back home and entering circulation.>>

Many trade dollars continued to circulate in the Orient even then. A formula for optimal allocation of trade dollars by merchants would include estimates of the values of goods that could be purchased by merchants who were already in the Orient with trade dollars 'in hand,' or the gains to be made by bringing trade dollars to the Orient even after silver bullion values fell, assuming here that bullion values fell as Condor says.

Presumably, the importing of goods from China to the U.S. was very profitable for many merchants Besides if a trade dollar became subsidiary coinage <<around late 1874 or 1875>>, half dimes, dimes, quarters and half dollars would have been subsidiary to a much greater extent. An Uncirculated trade dollar weighs 420 grains while an 1874-75 'With Arrows' dime weighs 38.5 grains (385 grains per dollar) and a half dollar, 192.9 grains. There would have been more of a motive to spend U.S. coins of other silver denominations, rather than trade dollars, in the U.S. during that time period.

Mainebill: <<I think even a damaged 78-cc will go over that ...>>

Did you read the article? I said, <<My research suggests that it might be almost impossible to buy an 1878-CC for less than $500, even an awful one. Warren Mills disagrees.>>

Warren has decades of experience as a leading coin dealer and he has handled a fair number of 1878-CC Trade Dollars. His point of view on this matter is worth considering.

Classic U.S. Coins for less than $500 each, Part 7: Trade Dollars

Mainebill: <<actually at my target grades it will probably average over $3k a coin. I'd like the common dates in 63-4 and Proofs in the same range. The tougher CC mints I'm shooting for AU and better ... >>

Of course, I am not disputing the point that Mainebill may know what he is doing. My article is aimed mostly at people who are considering starting a set of Trade Dollars or are unsure as to what to collect. It is part of a long series of articles on collecting classis U.S. coins for less than $500 each.

The latest installment in this series was published on Wednesday. As I said in another thread, ever since my grandmother started giving Barber dimes to me when I was five years old, I have been very fond of them. It is not difficult to complete a set of business strike Barber dimes, almost all in the VF to AU range, with many AU grade coins costing less than $90 each.

Classic U.S. Coins for Less than $500 Each, Part 24: Barber Dimes

9. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

This is the lowest graded one I ever plucked out of the Wild. Graded G4

There are lots of slugs out there itnjust isn't worth grading them unless a key date
    IMG_3488.JPG

brandon spiegel likes this.
  10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Since this thread was started by @Mainebill any one have any idea what's become of him? He's been MIA since summer

brandon spiegel likes this.
  11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

He told someone around here he has a lot of work to do this fall. Maybe getting his wood pile ready for the Maine winter?

Draft saved Draft deleted