Neat and wanted to share Morgans

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by wannahocalugie, Oct 7, 2019.

1. wannahocalugie

wannahocalugie New Member

Hi again all. With some brain power and time I managed to use what I have on hand to get full coin viewing with the same camera that was left to me. Believe it or not I'm using a screw driver, vice grips, loop and the camera. Not the greatest, but I'm making it work. So going through this inherited collection, again no proofs or mint conditions here, I did find these Morgans. Missing 1880, but found it neat none the less. One of the other members were giving an opinion on a 100 year old coin and wanted to look that good when that age, LOL. I just want to say me too! Can you imagine 130+ years ago these were in who knows pocket. Mind blowing. Anyway, pretty cool and wanted to share a few of them. Amazing he had circulated 1881 - 1885.
    I am confused on one point maybe you all can help with. Some of the older coins are still really shiny. While others are looking more oxidized or dirty. I would have thought the older ones would go first, again keep in mind all are circulated. He keeps them in a large medicine bottle with cotton in between. Weird I know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

It looks like the silver dollars you are showing, except maybe the 82-O, have been cleaned. The 1879-O has been harshly polished.

4. wannahocalugie

wannahocalugie New Member

I honestly don't know if he cleaned them as I never saw them until he passed, but it may be my fault with lighting. I'm using an LED flashlight as my lighting is awful. They all look shiny under that light including the copper or zinc coins. Any advice on better lighting to get the true picture to come through?

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Yeah they been cleaned. The color and surfaces are way off

Draft saved Draft deleted