Neat 42s Nickel.. PL?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Cascade, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Cool heavily polished war nickel. Fields are very reflective. Not sure if it would make PL or how often they give out the designation but it's a neat one. Looks like they were trying to remove cracks and they really went to town!

20171017_185924.jpg 20171017_190002.jpg 20171017_190124.jpg 20171017_190039.jpg 20171017_190215.jpg 20171017_190245.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Polishing will not make a coin appear proof like.
    Polishing is damage.
    Your coin looks like it was polished with a leaf rake.

dwhiz likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I think he meant that the die was polished

Blissskr likes this.
  5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yes. Die polishing. Thought it was obvious. And yes, polishing the dies can most def give a LDS coin the PL designation. Aside from fresh dies, it's the only thing that can.

6. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Cool scrubbed dies and you know how I feel about die cracks. :)

As for the PL designation, you could probably send it to MAC for a PL sticker. After checking their website you look to have a shot at 4FS (4 full steps) as well.:p

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Other than the 1942-P, they didn't make any proof war time nickels.
    Can it still be proof like if there are no proofs for that date/mint?

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

It can with Morgans as there are tons from San Fran and CC mints, I'm assuming the same is true for any coin at least from NGC since I don't believe PCGS gives the designation for non-Morgans yet (although I seem to remember reading they were considering it? Anyone confirm if that's true?).

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Some gold they do, some world coins they will. They generally won't for classic coins. The last I saw they still haven't announced anything but seem to be more open than in the past. I believe they'll consider it with a note if you have one, but until they actually do it on one or make an announcement I would expect it not to happen. If enough people keep letting them know they want them to start they'll eventually start doing it

Cascade and IBetASilverDollar like this.
  10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Neat looking, the reverse looks like like a clashed die.

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Looking at this specimen I say it may of been like a first strike off a reworked die .
    I say this as it looks as if they had reworked the die to get every strike they could because of medal for the war effort was very much in demand.
    Plus skilled workers were needed more so to build the machines of war more so then anything else.
    This is a very cool specimen with the lines and die cracks. Die cracks through Jefferson head and scalp are very common,as well as bisecting ones on the war time nickels.
    Another thing one may take into consideration is the composition of war nickels as to nickel ,copper. A softer medal composition so more strikes per die life.

dwhiz likes this.
  12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Probably was struck very near after the dies were scrubbed but every die was probably not reworked to this extent as you suggest. If so we would see many more like this on the market with the high survival rate of mint stare examples.

13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily if that the case what about the 1919 Mercury dime ddo, what only discovered a few years ago almost 100 years after struck and just discovered ?

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The difference though is the nickel posted jumps out at you. The dime DDO required someone closely examining it to catch it and those could have easily went their entire life without anyone noticing. Given the war it's possible that the nickels just got used without second thought, but there is a much greater chance of them being saved then the merc as it is much more noticeable

15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Also, with the 1919 DDO that was one single die.

baseball21 likes this.
  16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Here's a quick shot at the reflectivity

20171018_145735.jpg 20171018_150046.jpg

dwhiz, ddddd and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Yes. A coin is proof like when a circulation strike coin exhibits proof-like surfaces, (and usually frosting of devices) but is NOT a proof coin.

Michael K and Cascade like this.
  19. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I'd call it proof like but no idea what criteria NGC uses.

20. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Im more impressed with the un-opened wax pack of garbage pail kids :woot:

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted