Neat 1 Rappen Coin From Zurich

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Joshua Lemons, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Bought this AU billon Rappen mostly because of the die crack and missing lettering. As you can see, the n of Canton and ZU of Zurich are absent. The die crack runs where the N of Canton should be. My question is this a grease filled die or broken die. The denticles in the area of the missing lettering look good, so I'm confused. Any help is appreciated. Polish_20200618_163409947.jpg Polish_20200618_163500536.jpg Polish_20200618_163409947.jpg Polish_20200618_163500536.jpg

Bradley Trotter, GH#75 and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chuckylucky5

chuckylucky5 Well-Known Member

Nice one! Here is another example from Zurich Canton, 3 Haller, ND (1827-1841), KM#108, NCG MS65
    Zurich Canton Obv.jpg Zurich Canton Rev.jpg

Joshua Lemons and spirityoda like this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

From what I can see in your photo, I would say your coin was Struck Thru Debris.
    What looks like a die crack may be the edge of the debris that was stuck to the face of the die. I think photos of the coin outside the Flip would be helpful for a more accurate assessment.

5. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I
    Never considered that, but the surface of the missing lettering is textured, so I bet you are right! Either way, it's a neat little coin.

alurid likes this.
  6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think it is a nice coin. Very nice that it got pulled from circulation when it was young.

Joshua Lemons likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted