ND 1967-1975 Phillipine 50 sentimos (wrong planchet error) struck on a 20 centavos planchet NGC

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by heavycam.monstervam, Dec 3, 2016.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Freshly acquired specimen in which IDK much about . I need help!
    1) what is the value of such an item?
    2) Was this coin struck @ US mint?
    3) Is this a mega rare occurrence for a phillipine coin?
    4) is it desirable to own? IMAG3200_1.jpg IMAG3202_1.jpg
    Many thanks in advance

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

From the NGC page - this is the actual coin 96054b.jpg 96054f.jpg

4. heavycam.monstervam

According to this link:http://minterrornews.com/news-5-13-03-foreigners_in_the_mint.html
    There were Phillipine coins circa 1960-70s accidentally struck on U.S. planchets and U.S. coins struck on planchets intended for phillipine coinage, so I believe I answered question #2. Which makes this example even more exciting than it already was because it most likely happened at the US mint:D:D:D

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

oh and #4.. I desire it! ;)

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  6. heavycam.monstervam

One thing I've not done yet in my research is check the date on the host planchet to see if I can narrow down possibly when this could of actually happened at the mint. I have a krause book and when I get home tonight I'm gonna see if / when they stopped producing 20 centavos coins. Wouldn't it be cool if that coin had it's weight reduced etc etc to help narrow down some of the who what when's and why's I still have on this coin. Been a fun journey so far.

@lordmarcovan is this odd/eclectic enough 4 ya?

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yep! Nice odd n' eclectic piece. More modern than the stuff I usually go for, but definitely not lacking in the coolness department! One of a kind, probably, though I know there are other Philippine errors out there.

I saw this thread when it was posted, but was on a miserably slow connection at the time, so could not respond or even "like", etc.

I believe you have answered OP question #4 yourself. ;)

Paul M. and heavycam.monstervam like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

... and at the very least, @paddyman98 and I agree with the "yes" for question #4.

This thread did not get the responses it deserved. Sorry.

This is part of the problem when you're "Eclectic & Odd" sometimes, though, and walk those less-traveled paths. It can get lonely. But hey, the scenery is nice. :)

9. heavycam.monstervam

OK the plot thickens a bit, NGC is calling this struck on a 20 centavos planchet which is 20 mm, 4 grams and it's .750 silver. The problem is, that coin(while struck at a US mint) was discontinued in 1945. Which seems hard to believe unless in fact the planchet IS silver. I can't tell inside of a plastic tomb if its silver or not.Here is the kicker, what's strange is, the 25 sentimos, weighs in at 4.00 grams, 21 mm, is copper nickel and was struck along side the 50 sentimos the same year(s) '67-'74 . All of these coins WERE produced at the US mint. I just love that last part, so, did NGC make an error? Is the coin in question silver,or copper nickel. I think I know the answer already but to be continued.......

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

So what an a enigma an error stuck inside an error:sour:
    So that said do they cancel each other out?
    Will Heavy be downing many Miller's as the plot thickens?
    For the answers to these and many other stranger than life questions stay tuned!:jawdrop:

11. heavycam.monstervam

:wacky:Ahaaaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaa:woot::woot:
    You must know me pretty good @Paddy54 cause that EXACTLY what I was thinking an error inside of an error!! That oughtta double the value to an air colektor, or like you said cancel each other out. A negative plus a negative equals a positive, stay tuned whilst I down a few Millers, get drunk and figure out more of these burning questions, while Rome burns and I crack the codes.:pompous:

12. Paddy54

And you want to be my "Godfather . ...... rings bell .....oh heavy.... I think I need a glass of water, ring ring....heavy peel me a grape..... ring ring ring heavy my dipper feels wet...ring ring ring ring......heavy heavy.......oh darn just when I was going to reward you with a roll of circulated 1944 P wheat cents. :rolleyes:

13. heavycam.monstervam

You have already rewarded me , with knowledge, friendship, advice and just gracing me with your presence. Oh and the time I touched the hem of your robe.

(Wipes brown from nose, hoping one day it pays off:nailbiting:)

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. Paddy54

Snatch the doubled die from my hand....grasshopper! :D

15. lordmarcovan

Draft saved Draft deleted