NCS results with 1911 MPL

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by robec, Mar 20, 2011.

1. robec

robec Junior Member

I posted this earlier on the NGC boards, but there may be a couple here that may be interested. Coinguy56 are you here? I know you love your Matties.

I've had this 1911 for a couple of years. It's not one that I would have purchased due to haze and debris or foreign matter in some of the obverse letters, but I gladly accepted it as a throw-in during a multi coin trade with another member.

It was in a PCGS PR65BN holder. Because of the problem mentioned earlier I sent it to PCGS for spot review. Thinking that they would crack the coin out to review the coin, I attached a small white label to the obverse slab. According to their instructions a label was needed to identify the coin and invoice number. At any rate the sticker could easily have been removed.

This is the way I received the coin.

[​IMG]

Here is the obverse and some close ups of my concerns.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After having it back a couple of months I decided just to send it back to PCGS as a regrade hoping maybe they would clean it up. Especially since this time I know it would be cracked out. It came back same grade and with the same appearance.

It was then I decided to send it off to NCS for conservation and to NGC for grading. The reverse was never a problem, but they not only did some miracle work with the obverse, they made the reverse absolutely stunning. My photos don't do the coin justice, but here is a side by side comparison.

Not only did they improve the appearance dramatically, but also improved the grade to a 66BN.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

IMG_9387.jpg
    An American Zinc cent goes to its just reward.... edited :eek:

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Bob, the only problem is that PCGS doesn't make mistakes. Just ask them.

Chris

5. Iceman57

Iceman57 Junior Member

NCS does a wonderful job at conserving coins. I must have sent about a dozen rare Icelandic coins to them and
    never been disapointed yet. I have a set of Icelandic 1940 proof coins in a NGC multi-holder that can use a little of
    their TLC to remove a light layer of film on some of the coins,,I expect the coins will come back more stunning then
    what they are now.

6. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Wow, that's pretty impressive work. Hopefully whatever NCS did to the coin is stable and it'll still look like that in a few years. Whenever copper is messed with that would concern me a little. Congrats on the upgrade too.

7. robec

robec Junior Member

I can't imagine it looking any worse than it was with all the haze, specks and debris. I have no idea what conservation methods NCS uses, but I have to think they did all things necessary to keep the results stable. :kewl:

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is a sharp looking coin!

9. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

What a beautiful coin robec. NCS out did themselves on restoring the obverse. The LIBERTY looks alot cleaner than it was.

10. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

I wanna be a coin doctor cause they can perform miracles! Nice coin!

11. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

Very nice job and impressive work by NCS.

Not to hijack your thread. But I have a question concerning your NCS conserved coin. If you cracked it out again and sent it PCGS would they body bag it because it has now been conserved?

12. Iceman57

Iceman57 Junior Member

In all likelyhood they wouldn't know if the coin was conserved,,but I have heard a few stories that they bodybaged a coin
    that was conserved because the submitter told them. Either way why would you submit this coin again.

13. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

I wouldn't crack it out, an NGC PF-66 BN will command a higher price than a PCGS PR-65 BN. But there's always a chance that PCGS will give it the same grade, but I wouldn't take any chances. I'd leave it in the NGC slab. Still a beautiful coin.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If they did, then they'd have to start bagging those that they (PCGS) conserve ;)

15. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

Thank you. I was not suggesting that this coin should be resubmitted but I was more curious if PCGS would detect that the coin had been conserved. I believe Doug somewhat answer my question.
    Please don't get me wrong I believe this coin is better and would not hesitate buying it after it has been conserved but I still don't understand how PCGS can be going after the so called "coin doctors" when PCGS and NGC are doing something along the same line.

Perhaps another thread would be better to address my questions because I don't want to hijack the OP thread. (I had have a higher number of coins come back from PGCS lately being placed in genuine holder bag because apparently of being "conserved" by someone other than me)

Thank you

16. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

Well NCS does a great job, they made my PVC damaged MPL look amazing for the lower grade. Buy the coin, not the slab.

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Farstaff -

Suffice it to say that some forms of conservation ( I just call it cleaning because that's all it is ) are perfectly acceptable and some are not. This has been discussed many times in other threads. But go ahead start another one and we'll go though it again ;)

18. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

No, thank you.:D
    I realize now that it could become another one of those "passionate" discussion. ;)

19. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Looks like a good MS-70 job to me, but what do I know about copper.

20. robec

robec Junior Member

As I told TDN, it could very well be. I don't know what method NCS applies. After having the coin in hand and seeing all the junk that was sitting on the surface, the temptation of seeing what NCS could do got the best of me. To be honest, I really thought PCGS would downgrade the coin, if not during the spot review, for sure when I sent it in for regrading. I don't plan on selling, but after I'm gone, I thought it stood a better chance after being professionally (NCS) cleaned.

21. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Thanks for sharing....NCS did a stellar job!!! They really do good work there.

Draft saved Draft deleted