NCS conserved coin,before and after.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by connor1, Jul 9, 2010.

1. connor1

connor1 Collector

NCS conservered coin from the S.S.Republic Shipwreck ,before & after.

edited - copyright
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    edited - copyright
    All in all NCS does a good job on coin conservation of Shipwreck coins after 150 year under seawater, the Double Eagles were nicer but not in my budget & some of the Double Eagles were conservered by NCS so well they were graded by NGC (parent Co of NCS) .The pictures and Shipwreck were Featured in Nation Geographs Magazine & a PBS Television show that the DVD was made from.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

That's a nice coin. I'd love to own something like that.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats very cool. I have a nice seated half but one from a wreck and how thats set up in the box is pretty cool.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I think NCS did a wonderful job, and I've long wanted to own a shipwreck coin. However the (what I view as) excessive prices on these coins has kept me away from them thusfar. Regardless, Connor, thanks for sharing....Mike

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

7. connor1

connor1 Collector

Thanks, Mike ,some of the silver half dollars being exposed to the sea that long didn't conserve as well if they were not stacked perfectly ...if half stacked & tipped over as in my pictures posted (leaving semi- circular stains from the coin above or below,so my advice to anyone considering buying one look at mine & then use that as a comparison .

8. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Wow! That is a beautiful coin!
    One question is, why didn't NGC grade it? They could've said
    'Shipwreck Effect'
    UNC Details

Couldn't they?

Regardless, NCS did a fantastic job. ;)

9. connor1

connor1 Collector

I agree with you in the case of my coin,but some have semi-circular stains and corrosion on them.I think they should have cherry picked the best and graded them or Unc Details.Some of the Double Eagles were graded after NCS conservered them & then cross them over to NGC,but gold holds up much better in seawater.

10. tmoneyeagles

Even with the damage on your coin, it should've at least been graded. It is a coin from a Shipwreck, of course it is going to have environmental damage, and after NGC did its thing, NGC should've put UNC or AU Details on the slab (Or any grade for that matter)

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I had a chance to view the conservation process of the ship's artifacts in 2005 when non-dealer members could still make appointments to submit coins in person to the NGC. It was a real treat to see all of the china, silverware, glassware, shoes, portholes, etc., but by far, the most awesome sight was the ship's bell with the name U.S.S. Tennessee. Obviously, I wasn't allowed to view the conservation of the coins, but on another trip to pick up a submission, I was there when the "suits" from Marine Odyssey were there checking the inventory of all of the conserved and encapsulated coins. How often is it that you get to see $50 million in coins stacked in boxes on the floor?

Chris

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

These were all encapsulated long before NGC began giving coins Details grades. At the time, they would have been encapsulated in NCS slabs. Since there were so many coins involved in this process, I would imagine that it was by mutual agreement between Marine Odyssey and NGC that this would be the most expeditious method for most of the silver coins. As you know, seawater does not harm gold, so I would imagine that many of them graded.

Chris

13. tmoneyeagles

Okay, thanks for the info Chris!

14. connor1

connor1 Collector

Wow...Chris ,That must have been some experience to see all of those coins & shipreck effect!

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

When you actually see these "shipwreck effect" coins in hand you see the surfaces show evidence of corrosion, acid etching cleaning, and all of the ones I have seen are covered with hairlines from what appears to be a wirebrushing. Yes they are high detail and I do believe they are worth having for their historical value and context, but not at $750 to $1000 apiece. If these WEREN'T from the USS Republic, coins of this detail with the handling they have had would be $50 to $100 coins at best.

16. usc96

usc96 Junior Member

The after shots look nice. Where are the before shots?

17. connor1

connor1 Collector

usc96....Can't show the exact coin but I think those picture by National Geographs of the wreak after sinking in 1865 speak for themself....I wish I had the exact before myself but I'm sure seeing that they were silver and they were under seawater for that long they were encrusted and in bad shape before ,best I could provide.

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I have to agree with Conder101 on this. I have always felt that the word "conserved" , rather than "cleaned" for common people did not cut it. "Seawreck effect" is altered surfaces, cleaned, dipped, and worth as much as the "First strike" label. Sorry for the rant, but at least it is coin related and not political :)

19. connor1

connor1 Collector

Some of the SS Rupublic Coins have stains on then ,but if you wait and look for a nice one you can find it,never seen one from this wreck as bad as you described after being conserved by NCS "covered with hairlines from what appears to be a wire brushing",as you know I'm sure that the coins directly exposed to the seawater are not the nicest,but the wreck had boxes of silver & Gold coins wrapped & stacked deeper down ,you can see this recovery on the DVD,that's the one's that are like the one I posted.On the reverse of the coin I posted what appears to be a scratch in the botton near the rim is actually a die crack .

20. connor1

connor1 Collector

The coins are from a wreck that sat under water for more then 100 years,that's understood and any expectations of finding a coin that will look as if it wasn't is not to be found,simply put just look for one that you like if you want one ,like you would if you were buying any coin . The Gold are the least enviromentally effected.

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

This coin does not have the grade designation because it was considered to be among those having the most severe damage.

When NGC/NCS agreed to do the conservation on these coins they developed a new grading standard especially for them and other shipwreck coins that may follow. The decided on 4 different classes of grades -

SHIPWRECK EFFECT A — a coin exhibiting minimal surface disturbance from saltwater exposure, and exhibiting superior eye appeal for a shipwreck artifact.

SHIPWRECK EFFECT B — a coin showing evidence of light surface disturbance from immersion in saltwater, and may have some areas of moderate disturbance, not affecting central design elements. Coin possesses above-average eye appeal for shipwreck recovery coin.

SHIPWRECK EFFECT C — a coin displaying moderate disturbance to its surface from exposure to saltwater, while possessing at least average eye appeal for a recovery specimen. Accurate attribution and identification is not hindered by any surface impairment.

SHIPWRECK EFFECT — portions of the coin exhibit heavy to severe disturbance from saltwater exposure, with metal loss affecting the design. While accurate identification and attribution may be possible, it is no longer possible to draw conclusive determinations about the coin’s surface prior to saltwater exposure.

In addition to categorizing the level of surface disturbance, NGC assigns a wear or details grade to coins designated SHIPWRECK EFFECT C or better.

Draft saved Draft deleted