NCG Premium Membership On Sale

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MIGuy, Jun 25, 2022.

1. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I waited, and assumed it would be corrected by now. It hasn't been. Can the Thread subject be changed?

If not, that is OK.

Just a thought, that can't be heard on here.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

If I buy t slabbed okay otherwise not interested, ANACS is the best!

MIGuy likes this.
  5. erscolo

erscolo Well-Known Member

No interest in "certifying" coins, "sale" or not.

6. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

I have little experience of NGC and I prefer unslabbed coins which I can weigh and measure and where I can examine the edge. I understand they are excellent for modern coins from the 18th century on but in my experience they are unreliable for early modern and medieval coins and also, I believe, for ancients. I have had a number of such NGC slabbed coins where the identification was wrong. A recent attempt to get them to explain how they came up with their identification of a 16th century Dutch coin was very unsatisfactory. Their reply was simply "Our graders examined the coin and after examination that is what they believe the coin is." An expert on the series in Europe later confirmed to me that the coin was an 18th century copy. What surprised me was that they really did not seem to care if a wrongly identified coin in a NGC slab was out there and seemed to have no interest in correcting it.

serafino likes this.
  7. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

I do not know whether it is a coincidence or if someone from NGC monitors CoinTalk but the day after I posted the above note on my experience with NGC. I received two emails from them. after a long period of silence, concerning coins where I had questioned their identification. In one case NGC have now admitted their label is incorrect, have apologised and offered to correct it at no charge to me. In the other, where, among other things, I had questioned the denomination, they invited me to resubmit the coin for weighing. If their original assessment was incorrect, they would correct the label at no charge to me. If the original labeling stood, I would be charged a $10.00 processing fee, a $13.00 reholder fee, and return shipping fees. In fact, since their identification was clearly wrong and I had established it was an 18th century copy, I had already sent it back to the auction house.

serafino and MIGuy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted