NBN collectors -- do your part!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, Apr 28, 2016.

1. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

It amazes me that so few collectors seem interested in doing volunteer transcribing as the Smithsonian digitizes the BEP's certified proof collection of national bank notes. Folks, there are rarities here you will probably never see anywhere else. Transcribing simply involves typing out the bank name and entering basic data like charter number, signatures, certification date, etc. Or if you prefer, you can just review and approve the work of other transcribers. It's easy, it costs nothing, and you are helping prepare this collection for the entire paper money community.

But the best part is what you get out of it -- transcribers get the first look at what's in these boxes of proofs; something that used to require a visit to the Smithsonian and special permission. What's more, you can go back and look through all the proofs that have already been transcribed. Right now that's Alabama through Pennsylvania, including territories like Alaska, Dakota, Hawaii and Indian Territory -- more than 3,000 proof sheets.

Here's a link to the projects of the National Museum of American History, where the NBN proofs reside: https://transcription.si.edu/browse?filter=owner:7&q=browse&showcompleted=1 Three more boxes of Pennsylvania proofs were just put up today!

And here's where you sign-up: https://transcription.si.edu/user/register
    NOTE: Transcribing on these boxes goes FAST -- often they are completed a day or two after they are posted. So there's not always an active project to work on, but keep checking back.

Here are five good reasons to get involved...
    NGoldBankDOMills20.jpg Fargo Dakota Terr BB circus poster.jpg FNB Sheffield AL ornate.jpg FNB Mobile 500.jpg NB Boston 1000.jpg

green18, SteveInTampa and Aidan_() like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Great thread Greg.

I really wish I was available to participate in the volunteer work necessary to complete the transcribing for the Smithsonian. I would love to see some of these beautiful specimens up close. In my mind I'm there helping.

gsalexan likes this.
  4. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

We're up to the South Dakota boxes now. How often do you get to see a circus poster territorial!

FNB Canton Dakota Terr.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted