NBA coins today

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by David Betts, Jun 4, 2020.

1. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

Got 5 kids set's
    and 1 each of the rest hoping there's a privy #8 /#24 for Colby on 1 ? If there's a surprise it's the 2019s fluke? Any thoughts? Hoping Gold for LA Colors paid big?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

None for me but I see the Kid's Sets are on back order already - must have sold well.

Maybe I'm nit-picking here but the coins benefit the Hall of Fame, not the NBA, so there won't be any Kobe Bryant privy marks o_O

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I must pass on this coin.

Mike Davis likes this.
  6. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

The reverse is awful.

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Just to clarify, it commemorates the Basketball Hall of Fame, not the NBA

8. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

The NBA (National Basketball Association) is going to play the rest of it's season games at Disneyland.

:)

9. Dima

Dima Member

I'm not a huge fan of the coin, but I did order a few last Thursday. Got 1 of each: proof $1, unc $1, proof 50C, unc 50C, enhanced unc 50C, and unc $5. I tend to send all my gold to PCGS, but haven't decided if I'll opt for the special label. Hoping to snag the (meaningless) First Strike pedigree though :)

David Betts likes this.
  10. David Betts

Well told but I think of Michael, Lebron, Colby, Sheryl Stoops as G.O.A.T.S of the NBA - "Hall of Fame"?
    It's a bug -n- windshield question can't be both!

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Have no interest in the coins personally (except I'll need the Unc dollar for my Comm dollar set.), but I'm curious to see what the sales figures will show later today.

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They're pretty abysmal.

Gold uncir is 2519
    Proof gold 5750
    silver proof 44,215
    silver uncir 14,395
    clad proof 18,312
    clad uncir 9,709
    kid set 20,280

13. Dima

Dima Member

@baseball21 where are you able to find up-to-date sales figures?

David Betts likes this.
  14. baseball21

Dima likes this.
  15. LakeEffect

This is what fascinates me with every new modern commorative that comes out - as they get ever-less-popular, will they ever get so unpopular that hardly any sell, and then down the road they turn out to be rare and desirable??

Not really an issue for me since I won't be around 40 years from now, but I find it an interesting notion anyway.

David Betts likes this.
  16. baseball21

That certainly does happen where some of the new "keys" got really popular at the end.

The problem kind of was there was a streak especially with the gold where basically everyone was the new key everytime.

The lack of sports right now is likely hurting this one along with everything else, but at least to me it's not a very visually pleasing offering anyways. I'm probably in the minority but I also get the impression that on some of these the mint is moving more towards the international model where they charge high prices and give discounts to dealers to not deal with individual buyers

Mike Davis likes this.
  17. David Betts

18. LakeEffect

That's a valid point but we won't really know what the real keys are until many years have passed. The real keys will probably occur when collectors capitulate, and stop chasing the "new" keys year after year.

Could be, but I think the high price of precious metals is hurting it, too - these coins are very expensive.

David Betts likes this.
  19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The sales may be "abysmal", but the two that are usually the "new key" each time have already sold more in the first week to put them out of the running for new key this year. I don't do gold so I don't care about it, but I am impressed by the low mintages of the Unc commem silver dollars. The Breast Cancer and Boys Town coins took an entire year to sell 12,000 coins. The American Legion took a year to sell about 13,000. The Basketball dollar has all ready passed all three of those after less than one week.

David Betts likes this.
  20. David Betts

21. baseball21

For sure they'll pass many of the obscure ones, but for a major American sport their sales are atrocious. The baseball doubles first day what the basketball has done so far

First day of the baseball coins was
    26,789 proof gold
    14,999 gold
    108,164 proof silver dollars
    48,511 silver dollars
    43,376 proof half dollars
    29,978 half dollars
    http://news.coinupdate.com/opening-sales-for-baseball-hall-of-fame-curved-coins-3213/

Granted the baseball coin had a far better design, but still the commems need to be compared by topics and how likely they are to be desired. For a major US sport to barely crack 100k sales total at this point is truly horrendous especially when the baseball coins more than doubled that number on the first day alone

David Betts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted