Nazi Kanteengeld

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mark Metzger, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Japanese temple with Buddhist symbols
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Firstly, re. Kantinegeld, to claim the swastika appeared everywhere, throughout the ages, is - to my mind - pure and unadulterated nonsense, in this case. The wording is German and the context certainly appears Nazi Germany. The "Wheel" appears linked to some machinery, very likely military. This query has been aired online, in recent years, and CT was mentioned, more than once. Some quotes from "Numista", online, Post 176, 14 Feb., 2013. - Definitely a reproduction, Kantinegeld, made of either aluminium, tin, zinc or some mixture. "Real" ones were made of brass/bronze. - Fakes or Contemporary Counterfeits. - Were used by SS officers as Canteen currency. ?Beer token? Resources for research are scarce.

4. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The swastika most certainly has appeared in many countries throughout the ages. Wording? The "coin" has no wording.

6. Bert Gedin

Alright, Kentucky, if you can prove the swastika on the coin is ancient Indian, Chinese or from anywhere else, I'll accept it. So far, no-one has managed to prove
    that, because it is very unlikely, if not impossible. As for the wording, I was referring to the German "Kantinegeld" (not the Anglicised Kanteengeld), the description of the coinage and not the non-existent wording on the coins.

7. Nyatii

Hi Bert. I think what everyone is saying, is that some form of swastika has been used for thousands of years. Not necessarily the exact one shown on the coin.

8. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

9. Bert Gedin

Hi Nyatti. I know you mean well. But saying that "everyone" is saying swastikas have been round for thousands of years isn't particularly helpful. I may not be the smartest kid on the block, but neither am I a complete idiot. Of course, swastikas have an ancient history, but - in case you didn't know - they were hijacked by Nazi thugs, and used as their own symbol of murderous tyranny. Although history cannot be ignored, it is a mistake to become diverted and, so to speak, bark up the wrong tree. Another time your info may be more useful.

10. Nyatii

Yes, Bert, I know full well the Nazi's hijacked the swastika. And I in no way was implying or thought that you were anything but smart. In fact, one of my closest friends probably had the largest collection of Nazi memorabilia in the US. And, my father was one of the first up the beaches of Normandy with the Engineers clearing the way for the invasion against the Germans.

11. Bert Gedin

Yes, Nyatti, it's amazing how quickly time seems to fly. And Germans today seem like fairly ordinary people. Leadership, together with weird ideologies, can model people like clay. To return to coins, this pal of yours has a vast Nazi memorabilia collection. With coins, medals, what else ? Bayonets, helmets, photos, etcetera ?

12. Nyatii

He passed away 3 years ago. My friend had thousands of items. Two of the 3 gold plated Walthers that Hitler owned, several hundred officer daggers, 3 or 4 of the ceremonial batons that the Reichsmarschalls used when they met with Hitler (I think there were 6), Gorings personal silverware (depicted as being taken in a movie by a US soldier), Goring's iron cross shown in this picture which was the largest ever given,
    e upload_2019-6-27_6-47-33.jpeg
    silver and marble ashtray designating Goring as the Jagermeister of something or other, Goring's personal hunting guns, plaques off the cattle cars, banners that you have seen parading in old black & white movies, coasters from banquets, bayonets, Russian guns who fought for the Nazis, and on, and on. That's only about 1% off the top of my head.

Sasquatch likes this.
  13. Bert Gedin

Wow, Nyatii, That 1 % might have been enough to open a Museum ! Then there's a mere 99 % more !!! - Sorry that your friend passed away.

Nyatii likes this.
  14. Nyatii

He and another friend did open 3 WW II museums. Branson, Kentucky, and don't remember the 3rd. But none of the good stuff, including what I posted ever went to these.

15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

Where in Kentucky?
    Does it still exist? (the museum... I know Kentucky is still here... I'm in it)….
    Just wondering.

16. Nyatii

Unfortunately, they all went defunct. Well, except for the state which you have stated is still there.

Sasquatch likes this.
  17. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Exact same thing on Collectors Universe Message Board,,, but thingy won't let me copy the URL.
    Ana Silverbell got it right.

18. Bert Gedin

The Museums, you say, all went defunct. One wonders where all those unique items went to, Nyatii. I tried doing a few online searches, but results were limited, with several different Branson War Museums getting mixed up. A statement "A large collection of war regalia, formerly much larger, before it's owner went bankrupt." And this - "Branson Military Museum closed in 2015". With respect to your friend, but perhaps organising was not one of his strengths ? Seems there are some 8 Coin Dealers in Branson, all listed online, and with details. And some of those dealers might have memories of that remarkable Museum.

19. Nyatii

My friend was a silent partner giving over money and war memorabilia. The guy he trusted all to had problems which I don't rightly remember. The guy that managed all lived in NE and tried to do it long distance.

With all that being said, my friend always kept the very best ($millions). Nobody but personal friends and a select few ever saw them. The pictures I posted were not common knowledge or ever seen except for those listed above.

https://www.branson.com/veterans-memorial-museum-in-branson-celebrates-grand-opening/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...anson-mo-veterans-museum-being-auctioned-off/

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_c9522206-6049-11e8-b6d8-3b05f5dc43a3.html

20. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

An early variation circa 600AD

Burma Funan Pyu Kingdom 80 Latis circa 600AD obv.jpg
    Burma Funan Pyu Kingdom 80 Latis circa 600AD rev.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted