Naville Numismatics

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Seated J, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Seated J

Seated J Well-Known Member

I'm planning on taking the plunge into overseas auction bidding with Naville's sale this weekend. I've noticed that other members have bought from them before. I'd appreciate any comments or concerns that others have about Naville, thanks.

DonnaML and IMP Shogun like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Well respected and reliable firm. Competition is high, so don't expect bargains.

Nicholas Molinari and TIF like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

They're one of my most frequently used venues. I like the people (person-- Mattia) and they ship promptly. The auctions have some hassle in that they aren't timed closures so you have to babysit the auction so you don't miss your lots.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  5. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

6. Seated J

Seated J Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback, I will bid with reckless abandon!

Nicholas Molinari, akeady and DonnaML like this.
  7. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Reckless abandon is good and is sometimes my strategy too.

I see that I've bought 255 lots from Naville since their first sale in 2013 (5 lots) until the latest (69 - 6 lots) and have a few bids in for this weekend's sale too.

Naville is part of NAC - a sort-of second division NAC. They've sold a lot of coins from the Dattari Collection of Roman Egypt, plus many Clain-Stefanelli coins.

Probably not relevant to you, but for those of us still in the EU, Naville now ships from NAC's Belgium office, which has slowed deliveries, but at least means we only pay 6% tax. I don't think imports to the US attract any taxes.

While looking to see what I'd won from Naville just now, I see my record case of reckless abandon - this was my invoice from a Naville auction in May 2016 - 24 lots won in a single auction.

upload_2021-12-10_2-1-31.png

Luckily, most of them were cheap RR bronzes though with decent provenances so the bill wasn't huge, just the number of lots - for me, at least!

Anyway, recommended by me.

ATB,
    Aidan.

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:wideyed:!

rrdenarius likes this.
  9. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

I find their continued practise of publishing auctions with low resolution photographs very annoying and so I avoid bidding unless I find a photo of a coin in a prior -different- sale.

sand likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted