Natural Toning or what?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrgooch, May 29, 2014.

1. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Probably not.......

Desirable toning often carries a premium, sometimes multiples of price guide values.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It is a pretty coin, but not worth what he's asking, as that kind of toning is not unusual at all.

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

And that was precisely my point when I asked Doug why someone would bother to artificially create this type of toning. Some minor peripheral gold toning will not drive a price premium despite the efforts of the guy asking $200 for such a coin. I sell PCI graded ASEs with vivid rainbow toning for $200, for example.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I submit that the golden toning shown in this thread will generate very little price premium if any at all. Furthermore, if there is no financial incentive to artificially tone a coin, then why would anybody bother to create such a coin. Despite the fact that we can never be 100% sure of the origin of toning, every indicator in this case should lead us to conclude that the coin is naturally toned.

dwhiz and Morgandude11 like this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

For somebody like you, somebody that knows the toned coin market, I'd agree with you Paul. But the fact is there are a lot of people out there who do not know the toned coin market. And it it is not at all uncommon for those people to way overpay for a coin like this.

In other words, there's a lot of stupid people out there Paul - and that is the financial incentive for somebody to AT coins like this. It's the same incentive for somebody to AT any coin.

6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

These are three that I own. All are considered "market acceptable" by TPGS. Honestly, if I saw them raw, I might well have my doubts:

87.jpg 87eagle.jpg 87eaglerev.jpg 87rev.jpg 91 ASE.jpg

rzage likes this.
  7. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

1996 Toned ASE.png

MS67

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    Morgandude11 likes this.
  9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

While I don't dispute that there are stupid people who would buy it, my point was that the coin doctors will strive to create something a little more fantastic than some minor gold toning on the periphery.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, no doubt the ones really good at it would. But there's lots out there that aren't really good at it.

rzage likes this.
  12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Just what I was going to say . If they;re any good they wouldn't be doing ASEs anyway . They'd be AT Morgans or other coins that bring big money .

Morgandude11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted