Natural or Artificial Toning?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Feb 9, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Do you think that this is natural or artificial toning? The bright blue hue and the dark patches makes me suspicious, but maybe that could be natural.

Thanks and let me know!

[​IMG]

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, artificial; Nevertheless, since it is on a Russian coin and looks pretty - I think it will be straight graded.

BTW, the surface looks granular. They do not come this way. Did you buy it from a reputable dealer? I've never seen one with the lump on the rim at 7 o'clock but that can happen to a coin and I do see nice die polish lines.

Let's see what others say. I would not buy it based on the granular surface; yet I cannot tell if it is genuine from the photo.

5. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

lol thanks - it's a hard one for me to figure out definitively.

I'm leaning towards AT at the moment.

By the way, your best chance at beating me if I'm still interested come auction's end, is if you bid at the last moments.

6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

It's up for auction now.

7. Insider

Well, you will know by the price it goes for what others think.

8. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

That's crazy. I thought NGC were the ones to go to with AT coins cause they never grade anything AT

9. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I am tempted to get this... I bought a 1924 50 Kopeks today so this'll make a good pair. Besides the possibility of it being AT (or despite it), I'm wondering how dark it's going to look in-person. You just never know with these photos - this one appears to have plenty of light to give the coin an immense amount of brightness.

10. Insider

??o_O??:rolleyes::facepalm::wacky:

Just very interested. What are you basing this on?

11. Insider

@iPen

If you win it, please post a magnified photo of the hammer and sickle area for my education.

12. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Not from my own personal experience, but i have always been told to be careful with toned coins in NGC slabs because there was a better chance that they would straight grade AT coins than PCGS.

13. Insider

@Evan8

Here is something I learned decades ago about numismatics, collectors, dealers, publications, and just about anything I can think of in this world:

Pay attention to everything, all you read, all you hear, all you see as there is much to learn. Then, go out on your own and find the truth**, that can be duplicated and verified. I like to say, "SHOW ME."

** And to other members: PLEASE don't complicate my statement with things like:

1. Who knows the truth?
    2. "Truth's" can change.
    3. :yack::yack::yack::yack::yack::yack::yack::yack:

Just take what I said to heart. There is a lot of BS, half-truths, ignorance, misinformation, obfuscation, and just plain lies in this world. Opinions (such as this) are free :yuck::spam:

Evan8 likes this.
  14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

There's a toning category we've missed, one which probably accounts for a lot of toners we doubt, including this one - non-deliberate "AT." If someone did that deliberately, they were a tad off the mark. :)

BadThad likes this.
  15. Insider

This is an excellent point. I get around it with this approach:

I don't care if the toning took years to develop, took minutes in a hotel room, or happened in any other way anyone here can think of. IF THE TONING LOOKS NATURAL, IT IS. I think the TPGS attempt this approach also and remember, we all can be wrong at times.

SuperDave likes this.
  16. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

If a coin accidentally fell into a solution that causes toning within minutes or seconds, then is that natural since it's unintended?

Or is it artificial because it's the process that defines AT/NT?

Is it natural only because of the process?

Or does it require both the intent and process?

(i.e. unintended album toning or intended album toning, among others = intent, intended or unintended)

17. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Will do. Sometimes I do wonder if the "inconclusive"-toning-by-pics suggests that toning was added to disguise certain types of damage or wear. The photo quality seems pretty good, but it's still too difficult for me to tell. So this one I'm on the fence about.

18. Insider

I never buy a coin I am in doubt about. Lucky in this case you can dip it if it comes back AT.

19. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Yeah, I should simply look at others.

20. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

My experience is just the opposite. NGC is very strict on toning. At the moment, I believe PCGS is much more lenient on toning.

Cascade likes this.
  21. Insider

I'll confess ignorance on this (present time) at the moment. I do know that in the recent past, NGC would not grade a coin over MS-64 with dark or unattractive (brown's) toning.

Draft saved Draft deleted