National Numismatic Certification

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mojavedave, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Good suggestion, but they guarantee their coins as genuine.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

But isn't that why people send in coins, to verify ?

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Well, actually, it was about the reliability, but we shan't split hairs on that. I'll give you this on NNC, they don't have the markets the big two have for their market grades, and much of those markets are dependent, simply, on marketing. The markets, in other words, follow the marketing. There's another component of reliability, that being the ability to attribute varieties and errors, and to authenticate the genuine, or otherwise spot the fakes. I can't say how they'd rank against the big two, there.

5. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Let me be more specific so I have an idea about future E-Bay postings. I saw a 1965-D Franklin graded MS65 by NNC at a good price. However there were no pictures that I could visualy see the coin. I thought if I could purchase the coin and have it regraded by PCGS that I would come out ahead. The feedback from this post changed my mind about the RELIABLITY of NNC and cancelled my bid.

Dave

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

OK, you don't have to emphasize it, we didn't miss the term, what we missed was how you were defining "reliability," that being in terms of whether the coins would cross. Usually we just ask that, it saves a lot of beating around the bush. Good you got your answer.

7. 40_mila_kokkina

40_mila_kokkina Active Member

The honest truth is all the grading services are not to the standard I would like. They all make mistakes in grading. Companies I personally deal with to slab are: SEGS and ANACS. I'm beginning to like ANACS more though since their turn around time is more dependable than SEGS. ICG seems to be very willing to please customers as I submitted once to them but got nothing graded, they charged me nothing too and returned my coins for free with bonus supplies. Companies I would personally somewhat value the grading opinions of are: PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, SEGS and maybe NTC. Even still, I've been very disappointed with all of them in some specimens they've overgraded and undergraded.

NNC is not good though! Many of my slabbed coins I have from them have decayed. Also NNC overgrades terribly on many coins and they don't make any distinction between a cleaned and original coin in their grading given. They also are not reliable in that they cannot tell if a coin has been completely altered. I read horror stories about what they allow into a graded slab. A coin slabbed by NNC is totally worthless. Also PCI today is no good. They slab cleaned coins without making mention of it on their holders. Avoid them too.

Mojavedave likes this.
  8. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

Can you provide an example of a PCGS coin that YOU believe is overgraded, and an example of a PCGS coin that YOU believe is undergraded?

9. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

Sure he can. If he is buying your pcgs coin then it is overgraded.
    If he is selling you a pcgs coin it is undergraded

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They do guarantee them in writing now. For their first twenty years their guarantees (PCGS and NGC) never said one word about authenticity. (They always stood behind the coins, but they never specifically guaranteed their authenticity.)

11. 40_mila_kokkina

Here's a coin I sold recently. It is overgraded:

DSC09691.JPG DSC09693.JPG

12. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

13. Numismania

We all know you buy before you ask, you commit to a purchase and stiff the seller, and "The honest truth is all the grading services are not to the standard I would like"...if the grade wasn't on the slab, you'd have no clue.

With that said, You probably got a lucky guess on that Ike. You buy fake raw coins, have no clue that they are fakes.....just how on earth do YOU determine if a coin is overgraded or undergraded??? Throw darts, flip a coin, or some other method??? Just WTH IS the grading standard you'd like???? (this answer ought to be good)

14. 40_mila_kokkina

rich_tea_biscuits.jpg
    Tea biscuits anyone?

15. Numismania

16. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

You know you got an idiot when he can grade high grade proofs but can not see that i coin is covered in PVC and has large rim damage !

17. Numismania

The operative word here is in bold!!! Though, I do believe you give him too much credit after that...:woot:.

Draft saved Draft deleted