National Numismatic Certification

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mojavedave, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I am looking at a coin certified by National Numismatic Certification. Is this a reliable 3rd party grader ?

Dave

LostDutchman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Not from what I hear.

4. sshafer11

sshafer11 Head Research Assistant - Coin Show Radio

This particular "establishment" is not a reputable operation. I have had two coins from them in my possession in the past and one of which was a sesqui half graded MS64 with giant rubber band burns, and the other was a half dime which was an XF coin they graded AU. I would avoid buying anything from them without a return policy. Proceed with caution.

5. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

As long as you are buying the coin you like at a price you think is fair I say go ahead. If you are relying on the certification for grade, value, etc. then you probably should pass in favor of a coin from one of the top three companies (PCGS, NGC, ANACS)

That company does not have a good reputation.

6. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Evaluate their coins the same as you would a raw one.

geekpryde likes this.
  7. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Better off sticking with PCGS and NGC, IMHO.

8. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. They are well known for overgrading upwards of 2 grades and even slab Fake coins. I know a dealer who sent in a fake 1916-D mercury dime that would be an XF-AU if real. Those idiots slabbed it MS61

9. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Agreed. maybe sometimes ANACS depending on what you want to send in. Lately it seems NGC has been best in show.

10. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Thank you all.

Dave

11. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Whether their grading skills are reliable or not isn't the question. The question is does NNC stand behind their opinions with a "Grade Guarantee" that is backed or "funded" with a market value buy back?

From what I understand, NNC does not have such a program which basically means that they do NOT stand behind their grading opinions. As such, you might as well have your neighbor grade and slab your coin.

Specifically, in their Terms and Conditions, they state:

"SUBJECTIVITY OF GRADING. Limitation of Liability for Grading. All parties understand and agree that the professional opinion required in grading coins involves NNC's subjective judgement. Consequently, NNC makes no warranty or representation and shall have no liability whatsoever to the customer for the grade assigned by NNC to any coin."

BTW, all this information is available on the WEB with a search for: National Numismatic Certification.

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

13. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I read the web site, but I wanted to get an unpartial opinion from the experts.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You got the opinion, but I wouldn't be so sure about that "impartial".

Mojavedave likes this.
  15. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Ha ! Ha ! Condor, I got the partial drift., Nothing like being direct. BTW, I took their advise and cancelled the order.

Dave

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Learn to grade. That way you don't have to place all your marbles in the plastic.

40_mila_kokkina likes this.
  17. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

It's not my grading that I am concered with. The question was about the veracity of a grader known as National Numismatic Certification (NNC).

18. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I know evryone seems to think that PCGS & NGC are about the only reliable graders out there, but surely there must be some others that can be trusted.

Dave

19. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Surely :rolleyes:

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'm not sure you can trust PCGS and NGC. Follow Reagan's advice "Trust but verify."

40_mila_kokkina likes this.
  21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Veracity?

None.

Draft saved Draft deleted