National Currency (What's your city?)

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by camlov2, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Hi Guys,
    I've been thinking about trying to put together a denomination collection of the town I was born and raised in, Scranton, PA.

Would need a 5, 10, 20, 50, and a 100.

I was born and raised in Scranton, PA, till I was 20 years old, left at that time and haven't been back there for 55 years but still think I would like a set of notes from there.

I have a denomination set of N B N's from the following towns that I would or could trade for Scranton notes as follows.

$ 5. Richmond, VA bank # 10080.
    $ 10. Du Bois, PA bank # 7453.
    $ 20. San Fran. CA bank # 13044.
    $ 50. Oklahoma City, OK bank # 4862.
    $ 100. Baltimore, MA bank # 2453.
    They are in XF to CU condition.

I'm not sure just how I should go about doing a trade like this or if I'm posting this in the right section of the forum, but being that this thread is about N B N's I thought it would be ok to post here.

So, If anyone has any nice Scranton notes and needs what I have listed please let me know and maybe we can do a trade.

These are all Small Size notes.
    Bill Collector

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Too bad I don't know anyone from Du Bois or else I might have been interested in that note. I have a lot of fmaily from Western PA, but strangely enough, not from there.

4. The only thing me and Du Bois have in common is that I got stopped for speeding there once, all they did was tell me to slow down and then let me go. Nice cops there.
    Bill Collector

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Did somebody say Scranton ?

I bough this note 2 years ago just to have something that reminded me of the town where my favorite TV show says it's from.
    THE OFFICE is set in Scranton.

[​IMG]

6. SteveInTampa

Note arrived today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

This is also a Heritage Auction item. A R-8 rarity with only $335 total left in circulation after 1935.This was part of the Dallas Show which just concluded. I lived in Peoria for a while and my daughter was born there. The Illinois River splits the municipality in half. Guess what side of the river P1010655.jpg P1010670.jpg this note is from?

8. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Just now starting to collect Nationals from where I lived in the mid-Atlantic states (Maryland, Delaware, Virginia). Here's the first in hopefully a long line of notes.
    Virginia National.JPG

9. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

Whats the difference between the bottom left #27874 and the upper right # Y403195B. As it states on the holder 27874 is the serial but then whats the upper left one mean?

10. SteveInTampa

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The number in the upper right portion of the note is the treasury serial number. All national bank notes were printed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in Washington DC, so they issued their own serial numbers. The numbers have all kinds of different suffixes and prefixes. In 1925 unique treasury serial numbers were discontinued.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The number in the lower left corner of a national bank note is the bank serial number. Each time a bank issued a new type of currency, the bank serial number would start at "1". Many times bankers would save these number 1 notes because they were often the first notes they ever signed.[/FONT][/FONT]

11. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Updated list>>>

Alabama, Enterprise (jhinton)
    Arizona, Phoenix (silverhouse)
    California, Chico (camlov2)
    California, Needles (coleguy)
    California, Oakdale (scottishmoney)
    California, Oakland (clorox)
    California, Oroville (camlov2)
    California, Sacramento (fretboard)
    California, San Mateo (bonniview)
    California, Stockton (scottishmoney)
    California, Redding (camlov2)
    California, Visalia (scottishmoney)
    California, Woodlake (scottishmoney)
    Colorado, Colorado Springs (yoyospin)
    Florida, Tampa (steveintampa)
    Illinois, Batavia (saltysam-1)
    Illinois, Evanston (wr siegel)
    Illinois, Mendota (coinman0456)
    Illinois, Paris (grimreaper)
    Illinois, Wilmette (wr siegel)
    Massachusetts, Boston (jlg1130)
    Massachusetts, Melrose (jlg1130)
    Massachusetts, Stoneham (jlg1130)
    Michigan, Detroit (silverhouse)
    New Jersey, Caldwell (mrcheeks)
    New Jersey, Glen Rock (vdbpenny1995)
    New Jersey, Newark (mrcheeks)
    New York, Chester (mec2)
    Ohio, Massillon (ryannof)
    Ohio, Toledo (seperfisiver)
    Oregon, Eugene (camarodmd)
    Pennslyvania, Chester (mec2)
    Pennslyvania, Emporium (coleguy)
    Pennslyvania, Harrisburg (dr kegg)
    Pennslyvania, Johnstown (dr kegg)
    Pennslyvania, Lewiston (dr kegg)
    Pennslyvania, Newport (dr kegg)
    Pennslyvania, Scranton (bill collector)
    Puerto Rico :D (duke kavanaugh)
    South Carolina, Chester (mec2)
    Tennessee, Columbia (tyler g.)
    Texas, Abilene (derrbrad)
    Texas, Dallas (mec2)
    Utah (duke kavanaugh)
    Vermont, Chester (mec2)
    Virginia, Alexandria (redseals)
    Virginia, Norfolk (kookoox10)
    Washington, Bellingham (tbudwiser)
    West Virginia, Chester (mec2)
    West Virginia, Hinton (jhinton)
    Wisconsin, Green Bay (lettow)

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

camlov2;

Since I have one half the town already, I will need to find the other which is simply Peoria. Not as high on my list, is a town very close by called Pekin. My wife and I would visit friends there on a regular basis. I would be interested in finding both, although I would be much more willing to spend additional funds for the Peoria note. The large size notes are the notes of preference.

13. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I wanted to refresh this thread. Here's a couple more on the list.
    Currently looking for more 1929 Type I & II Maryland, Delaware and Virginia.

Maybe someone can help me figure out how many of each of these have been reported.
    1929DoverNational.jpg
    1929SnowHillNational.jpg

14. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Almost 100 for the Dover in all types and denoms.
    Snow Hill though is only 8 in all types and denoms.

15. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Duke;

My reference (National Currency by Liddell and Litt) has the 8 count listed for the large size notes. It gives a count range of 50-99 for the small size he has posted.

16. Duke Kavanaugh

Which bill Salty?

17. coervi

coervi Lincoln Collector

I am looking for almost anything from Kansas, but mainly Pratt as that is the city i grew up in.

18. tigertrader

tigertrader Active Member

I am always looking for Tulsa Oklahoma National Currency.

But I really collect all of Oklahoma and would be interested to consider any notes. As always the rarer the better. I specialize more in small size but I like large size as well. Another aspect of National Currency in Oklahoma is that it was Indian Territory before it was granted statehood, so this Tulsa Indian Territory note is very special. (This is not my note and the guy wants 20,000 for it, sorry for the pic quality but its still awesome!!!)
    EAA0F2FC-4034-43E9-AE5B-E10CCE4C986F-3412-0000029004AD2520.jpg

19. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I think he's referencing the Snow Hill

20. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I'm curious about the whole reporting deal. I hear dealers refer to "Track & Price" when it comes to the value of Nationals, in addition to the reporting. Does T&P cross with the NBN Census or is it it's own separate reporting. Say for example if there are 25 small Phoenix, AZ notes reported through NBN, and another 35 smalls of the same city and charter reported through T&P, does this mean there have been 60 total reported? Or do they cross?

That's been my little boggle these last couple days as I see different dealers and auctions refer to T&P and NBN separately.

21. Duke Kavanaugh

I don't think they cross 100% but more like 75%. So in your example there would be more like 40 total.
    But I"m guessing.

Draft saved Draft deleted